Pulley system, find the acceleration and tension

In summary: Look at the figure. What other forces on the pulley are available that you did not draw in your diagram? (It does not need to be two separate forces, it is sufficient to have one force pointing up and...other forces pointing right).There is only one force, the tension in the string.
Davidllerenav

Homework Statement

Given the picture:
10.PNG

• Make the free body diagrams of each body and the pulley. Remember that there are two different strings therefore there are two different tensions.
  • Assuming that the mobile of mass M starts from rest and has a displacement D at a time t, and the bodywith mass m falls a height h at the same time, calculate the accelerations of the mobile a_1 and the body a_2 (Note: Use only cinematics).
  • Assuming that the accelerations of the bodies are known, calculate the tensions in the strings, and the coefficient of friction between the mobile and the table. Despise the pulley mass and friction between pulleys and rope.

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, So for the first one, I made the diagrams of each body like this. Is it correct?
64d301cc-39fb-4271-8974-87d19ee65e06.jpg

For the second one, it says that the mobile of mass M starts from rest, so ##v_0M=0##, and ##v_M=at##. The displacement would be ##D=\frac{at^2}{2}+D_0##, so the acceleration would be ##a_1= \frac{V_M}{t} = \frac{2D}{t^2} + D_0##.
Now, for the body with mass m I set the inicial speed as ##0##, so ##v_0m=0##, thus ##V_m=-gt##. The Fall would be ##F=h-\frac{gt^2}{2}. Thus ##g= -\frac{v_m}{t} = h-\frac{2F}{t^2}. Am I correct?

For the third one, I don't know what to do. Pleas help me.

Attachments

• 10.PNG
    10.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 1,607
  • 64d301cc-39fb-4271-8974-87d19ee65e06.jpg
    64d301cc-39fb-4271-8974-87d19ee65e06.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 791
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit hard to read the details on your diagrams, but the tensions don’t look right.
If a string passes over a pulley, and the pulley is considered massless and frictionless, what can you say about the tensions in the two segments of string?

haruspex said:
It's a bit hard to read the details on your diagrams, but the tensions don’t look right.
If a string passes over a pulley, and the pulley is considered massless and frictionless, what can you say about the tensions in the two segments of string?
That they are the same.

Davidllerenav said:
That they are the same.
But that does not seem to be what either of your pulley diagrams show. As I wrote, they are hard to read though.

haruspex said:
But that does not seem to be what either of your pulley diagrams show. As I wrote, they are hard to read though.
Yes, sorry I think I labelled them wrong. But I think that on Pulley 1, both tensions are the same, right? On pulley 2 the tensions on the left are the same and the one on the right is the same as the tension on pulley 1. The tension that mass M feels is the same as the left ones on pulley 2 and the tension that mass 2 feels is the same as pulley 1, right?

Davidllerenav said:
Yes, sorry I think I labelled them wrong. But I think that on Pulley 1, both tensions are the same, right? On pulley 2 the tensions on the left are the same and the one on the right is the same as the tension on pulley 1. The tension that mass M feels is the same as the left ones on pulley 2 and the tension that mass 2 feels is the same as pulley 1, right?
Yes, that all sounds fine.

Your equation for D is ok, but you can set D0=0. We are only concerned with the displacement.

Davidllerenav said:
The Fall would be ##F=h-\frac{gt^2}{2}##. Thus ##g= -\frac{v_m}{t} = h-\frac{2F}{t^2}##. Am I correct?
what forces act on m?

haruspex said:
what forces act on m?
Tension and gravity.

Note that the FBD of pulley 1 is not correct. If those were the only forces acting on it it would accelerate down and to the left. However, this is irrelevant to the problem itself as what you need is the relation between the tensions in the string going left and that going down. This is a very common mistake that you should aim to avoid. Even though it does not matter in this problem, there are problems where it will matter.

Orodruin said:
Note that the FBD of pulley 1 is not correct. If those were the only forces acting on it it would accelerate down and to the left. However, this is irrelevant to the problem itself as what you need is the relation between the tensions in the string going left and that going down. This is a very common mistake that you should aim to avoid. Even though it does not matter in this problem, there are problems where it will matter.
There should be a force pointing up and a force pointgin right, is it correct? But what are those forces?

Davidllerenav said:
But what are those forces?
Look at the figure. What other forces on the pulley are available that you did not draw in your diagram? (It does not need to be two separate forces, it is sufficient to have one force pointing up and right.)

Davidllerenav said:
Tension and gravity.
So will the acceleration be g?
Note that fir this part of the question you are told to take its a celeration as just a2.

Orodruin said:
Look at the figure. What other forces on the pulley are available that you did not draw in your diagram? (It does not need to be two separate forces, it is sufficient to have one force pointing up and right.)
The only one I can think of is the one provided by that support.

haruspex said:
So will the acceleration be g?
Note that fir this part of the question you are told to take its a celeration as just a2.
Oh, so I just need to change the g to a ##a_2##?

Davidllerenav said:
The only one I can think of is the one provided by that support.
That's what the support is for, to supply whatever force is needed to keep it in place.

Davidllerenav said:
Oh, so I just need to change the g to a ##a_2##?
Yes.

haruspex said:
That's what the support is for, to supply whatever force is needed to keep it in place.
So it wold provide a force that isn't pointing up or right, but I need to find it's components, right?

Davidllerenav said:
So it wold provide a force that isn't pointing up or right, but I need to find it's components, right?
You know that it has to balance the two tension forces, so which direction must it point?

haruspex said:
You know that it has to balance the two tension forces, so which direction must it point?
It must point up and right.

Davidllerenav said:
It must point up and right.
At what angle?

haruspex said:
At what angle?
##45## degrees,right?

Right, it is a side-track to your problem and you do not need to care about it here though. However, as I said, there are problems where the support is attached to some mass that is movable and then it will matter so it is good to get this right from the beginning. I suggest you move on with the rest of this problem now and don't spend too much time on the support forces, but being aware of it is good practice and sometimes necessary.

Davidllerenav said:
##45## degrees,right?
Yes.

Orodruin said:
Right, it is a side-track to your problem and you do not need to care about it here though. However, as I said, there are problems where the support is attached to some mass that is movable and then it will matter so it is good to get this right from the beginning. I suggest you move on with the rest of this problem now and don't spend too much time on the support forces, but being aware of it is good practice and sometimes necessary.
Ok, thanks. I will have a test about this tomorrow on my lab class, so maybe the teacher wants to see the support forces. But one question, would't that change the sum of forces?

Davidllerenav said:
Ok, thanks. I will have a test about this tomorrow on my lab class, so maybe the teacher wants to see the support forces. But one question, would't that change the sum of forces?
It is the only thing that makes it possible for your pulley's centre of mass to not accelerate, so yes. Without the support forces, the forces on the pulley cannot be equal to zero unless the tension is zero. The equality of the tensile forces is due to torque balance (assuming that the pulley is mass- and frictionless), because the support force is acting through the pulley centre of mass, but without the support force the pulley centre of mass would accelerate (which goes against the entire idea that it is fixed in place).

If I was your teacher and asked you to draw the forces on the pulley I would deduct points for not drawing the support force.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Ok, thanks. Sorry to ask here, but I posted I question before this one about circular motion, can you help me with it?

Orodruin said:
It is the only thing that makes it possible for your pulley's centre of mass to not accelerate, so yes. Without the support forces, the forces on the pulley cannot be equal to zero unless the tension is zero. The equality of the tensile forces is due to torque balance (assuming that the pulley is mass- and frictionless), because the support force is acting through the pulley centre of mass, but without the support force the pulley centre of mass would accelerate (which goes against the entire idea that it is fixed in place).

If I was your teacher and asked you to draw the forces on the pulley I would deduct points for not drawing the support force.
Ok. But one question. The third part says that there is acceleration, so what happens to those forces?

Davidllerenav said:
Ok. But one question. The third part says that there is acceleration, so what happens to those forces?
There is no (linear) acceleration of the pulley. It is locked into place by the support.

Orodruin said:
There is no (linear) acceleration of the pulley. It is locked into place by the support.
Oh, sorry I confused it witht he mass. So the pully is at rest always. The other one is too right?

Davidllerenav said:
Oh, sorry I confused it witht he mass. So the pully is at rest always. The other one is too right?
No, the other pulley will have to move. If it did not move the hanging mass would not be able to move. However, it is supposedly massless in this problem. Note that there is no separate support keeping it in place.

Orodruin said:
No, the other pulley will have to move. If it did not move the hanging mass would not be able to move. However, it is supposedly massless in this problem. Note that there is no separate support keeping it in place.
So it would move to the right, pulling the mobile and letting the hanging mass to fall?

It would be more accurate to say it would accelerate to the right due to the pull of the hanging mass. Of course, if the system starts at rest this will lead to it moving to the right.

Orodruin said:
It would be more accurate to say it would accelerate to the right due to the pull of the hanging mass. Of course, if the system starts at rest this will lead to it moving to the right.
I see. Ok, I wrote the sum of forces like this:
  • Mobile with mass M: ##T_1-F_r=M\cdot a_1\Rightarrow T_1-\mu N = M\cdot a_1 \Rightarrow T_1=\mu Mg+M\cdot a_1\Rightarrow T_1=M(\mu g+a_1)##
  • Hanging body with mass m: Since it moves down, the force of gravity is bigger than the tension, thus ##F_g-T_2=m\cdot a_2\Rightarrow mg-T_2=m\cdot a_2\Rightarrow T_2=m(g-a_2)##
Is it correct?

Last edited:
No, you mixed up ##T_1## and ##T_2## from one step to the next. It may seem petty, but you have done this several times in this thread alone and you need to take better care with this or you will make mistakes that are relatively easy to avoid.

Orodruin said:
No, you mixed up ##T_1## and ##T_2## from one step to the next. It may seem petty, but you have done this several times in this thread alone and you need to take better care with this or you will make mistakes that are relatively easy to avoid.
Sorry, I fixed it now. I'll try to be como careful. Now that it is fixed, is it correct?

Yes, but you need to find a relation between ##T_1## and ##T_2## to completely solve your system. Can you imagine where you can get such a relation from?