Calculating Wave Velocity, Mass, and Wavelength of a Guitar String

In summary: L is the length of the string.In summary, the wave velocity of a typical steel B-string in a guitar is 326.4 m/s. The mass of a 2 m long piece of the string is 0.00163 kg and the wavelength of the third harmonic is 834.87 m. These values can be calculated using the equations f = v/2L and wavelength = 2L/m.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A. A typical steel B-string in a guitar resonates in its fundamental frequency at 240 Hz. The length of the string is 0.680 m. What is the wave velocity in the string?

B. The tension in the above string is 86.8 N. Calculate the mass of a 2 m long piece of the steel string.

C. What is the wavelength of the third harmonic of the guitar string described above?

Homework Equations

f = v/2L
Wavelength = 2L/m

The Attempt at a Solution

A. 326.4
How do I calculate B and C??

Physics news on Phys.org
B. In stretched string velocity v = sqrt(T/m) where T is the tentsion and m is the mass per unit length of the wire.
CDuring the third harminc the number of loops in the string will be 3.

I am sorry but I don't understand how to calculate B still.

Does anyone know how to do these?

Anyone? I need help :( I'm not figuring this out...

v = sqrt(T/m)
326.4 = sqrt(86.8/m). Square both the sides
326.4^2 = 86.8/m
m= 86.8/326.4^2
Mass of 2 m wire = 2m
Now solve.

Okay so I get 0.00163 kg...how about part C?

I get 834.87 for part C using wavelength = 2L/m

I get 834.87 for part C using wavelength = 2L/m

Wave length of third harmonic = 2L/3

1. How do you calculate the wave velocity of a guitar string?

To calculate the wave velocity of a guitar string, you can use the equation v=√(T/μ), where v is the wave velocity, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the linear density of the string.

2. What is the mass of a guitar string?

The mass of a guitar string can vary depending on the type of string and the manufacturer. However, on average, the mass of a guitar string is around 0.01-0.02 grams per inch of length.

3. How do you calculate the mass of a guitar string?

To calculate the mass of a guitar string, you can multiply the length of the string (in inches) by the average mass per inch. For example, if a string is 25 inches long and the average mass per inch is 0.01 grams, then the mass of the string would be 25 x 0.01 = 0.25 grams.

4. How do you determine the wavelength of a guitar string?

The wavelength of a guitar string is equal to twice the length of the string. This can be determined by measuring the length of the string and multiplying it by 2.

5. Can the wave velocity, mass, and wavelength of a guitar string change?

Yes, the wave velocity, mass, and wavelength of a guitar string can all change. The wave velocity can change if the tension or linear density of the string is altered. The mass can change if a different type of string is used. The wavelength can change if the length of the string is altered.