Exploring the Delta(1232) Particle & its Clebsch-Gordan Coefficients

In summary: In any case, just look at the table for combining 1/2 and 1. Now look at the state 3/2 1/2 You find that|3/2, 1/2 > = srqt(1/3) |1,1> |1/2,-1/2> + sqrt(2/3) |1,0> |1/2,1/2>
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

My textbook takes a look at the [itex]\Delta(1232)[/itex] particle
It says that
[tex]\left|\pi p;\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\right>=\left|\pi;1,1\right>|N;\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\right>[/tex]

where N stands for a nucleon and pi could be any of the three flavours of pion.
They then go on by applying ladder operators (not explicitly, this is not at that level yet) to give
[tex] \left|\pi p;\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\right>=-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}\left|\pi^+ n\right>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left|\pi^0 p\right>[/tex]

My question is how they came up with that

Homework Equations

Clebsch Gordon coefficients
For now use the wikipedia source but if you can suggest a better source please suggest it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Clebsch-Gordan_coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the isospin of the pi+ is 1 and the isospin of the proton is 1/2?

in either case how did they come up with the coefficients of -root 1/3 and root 2/3??
the two spin values are j=1 and j=1/2. so we see two possiblities,
first is m=3/2
why is this possibility rejected?

the other possibility is where m=1/2
there are two possible j values. Look at the m1 values i could tell which woul the pi+/-/0 possibility. But the only way i would know if there was a neutron or proton would be to deduce it from the pion's spin and charge? Is that correct?

Also while reading the CG coefficients, is the j,m of the decaying particle, and then j1, and j2 of the products?

Thank you for all your help and advice!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:

Homework Statement

My textbook takes a look at the [itex]\Delta(1232)[/itex] particle
It says that
[tex]\left|\pi p;\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\right>=\left|\pi;1,1\right>|N;\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\right>[/tex]

where N stands for a nucleon and pi could be any of the three flavours of pion.
They then go on by applying ladder operators (not explicitly, this is not at that level yet) to give
[tex] \left|\pi p;\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\right>=-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}\left|\pi^+ n\right>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left|\pi^0 p\right>[/tex]

My question is how they came up with that

Homework Equations

Clebsch Gordon coefficients
For now use the wikipedia source but if you can suggest a better source please suggest it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Clebsch-Gordan_coefficients

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the isospin of the pi+ is 1 and the isospin of the proton is 1/2?
Yes. To be more precise, the value of I for any of the pions is 1 (I is the analogue of l for orbital angular momentum). The value of [tex] I_z [/tex] is [tex]0, \pm 1 [/tex] depending on which pion you are considering (the analogue of [tex] I_z[/tex] is [tex] m_l[/tex]). The isospin of a nucleon (proton or neutron) is I=1/2. [tex] I_z [/tex] is [tex] \pm 1/2 [/tex] depending on whether you are considering the neutron or the proton.
in either case how did they come up with the coefficients of -root 1/3 and root 2/3??

I am confused. are you absolutely sure they wrote 3/2, 3/2 for the total state? For that state the CG table does not give the coefficient you give. Are you sure it's not 3/2,1/2 or 1/2,1/2?

nrqed said:
Yes. To be more precise, the value of I for any of the pions is 1 (I is the analogue of l for orbital angular momentum). The value of [tex] I_z [/tex] is [tex]0, \pm 1 [/tex] depending on which pion you are considering (the analogue of [tex] I_z[/tex] is [tex] m_l[/tex]). The isospin of a nucleon (proton or neutron) is I=1/2. [tex] I_z [/tex] is [tex] \pm 1/2 [/tex] depending on whether you are considering the neutron or the proton.I am confused. are you absolutely sure they wrote 3/2, 3/2 for the total state? For that state the CG table does not give the coefficient you give. Are you sure it's not 3/2,1/2 or 1/2,1/2?

Yes it is my mistake they had 3/2 1/2

[tex]
\left|\pi p;\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\right>=-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}\left|\pi^+ n\right>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left|\pi^0 p\right>
[/tex]
How did they come up with the coefficients then

I don't know how to read the table...

since spin is 3/2 and 1/2 the CG coeffs should be 1/2 or root3/4 but none of those appear??

Last edited:
stunner5000pt said:
Yes it is my mistake they had 3/2 1/2

[tex]
\left|\pi p;\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\right>=-\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}\left|\pi^+ n\right>+\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left|\pi^0 p\right>
[/tex]
How did they come up with the coefficients then

I don't know how to read the table...

I use a table in Griffiths' book and I get different coefficients: I get both coefficients to be positive.

In any case, just look at the table for combining 1/2 and 1. Now look at the state 3/2 1/2 You find

|3/2, 1/2 > = srqt(1/3) |1,1> |1/2,-1/2> + sqrt(2/3) |1,0> |1/2,1/2>

|1,1> is a pi+
|1,0> is a pi^0
|1/2,1/2> is a proton
|1/2,-1/2> is a neutron

The Wiki table has a disclaimer about negative values, I think... read the fine print and it might apply to this situation.

1. What is the Delta(1232) particle?

The Delta(1232) particle, also known as the Delta baryon, is a subatomic particle that is made up of three quarks. It is a type of baryon, which is a particle made up of three quarks, and is classified as an isospin multiplet with a spin of 3/2.

2. Why is the Delta(1232) particle important in particle physics?

The Delta(1232) particle is important in particle physics because it was one of the first particles to be predicted by the quark model, which is a fundamental theory in particle physics. It also plays a role in understanding the strong interaction, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

3. How is the Delta(1232) particle studied and observed?

The Delta(1232) particle is studied and observed through high-energy particle collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators. By analyzing the particles produced in these collisions, scientists can identify and study the properties of the Delta(1232) particle.

4. What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and how are they related to the Delta(1232) particle?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical values that describe the quantum state of a system of particles. In the case of the Delta(1232) particle, the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used to describe the quantum states of the three quarks that make up the particle.

5. What can studying the Delta(1232) particle tell us about the nature of matter?

Studying the Delta(1232) particle can provide insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. It can also help scientists better understand the structure of baryons and the role of quarks in the formation of matter.