When Will We See Results from the Large Hadron Collider's Latest Experiments?

I like that --"No Access Underground during test"-----I wonder if they're thinking something may happen like in the movie --'The Philadelphia Experiment'I like that --"No Access Underground during test"-----I wonder if they're thinking something may happen like in the movie --'The Philadelphia Experiment'In summary, the conversation revolves around the countdown to the end of the LHC experiment and the expectations for results. Some speculate that it may take a few months for the LHC to operate at full power and start seeing results. There is also discussion about the legitimacy of a website related to the LHC and the risks involved in the experiment. A timeline is also mentioned for when certain theories may be confirmed.
Daniel Y.
http://www.lhcountdown.com/?p=13#comments

The countdown is close to the end! Anyone know when we should expect results of new (or lack of) finds? I mean public announcement. A day? A week? 72 years!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand it will take a few months for the LHC to operate at full power as it is cranked up gradually. During this process we should start seeing what we saw at Fermi lab first, and see more top quarks. After that I have no clue.

Daniel Y. said:

The countdown is close to the end! Anyone know when we should expect results of new (or lack of) finds? I mean public announcement. A day? A week? 72 years!?

I hope they get some results in the first years, if they do not funding may dry up.

wolram said:
I hope they get some results in the first years, if they do not funding may dry up.

If they don't get any results they still have other things to keep them busy:

http://xkcd.com/401/

:biggrin:

g01 said:
if They Don't Get Any Results They Still Have Other Things To Keep Them Busy:

http://xkcd.com/401/

:biggrin:

Lol.

Daniel Y. said:

Is this site legit? I haven't been able to find public dates for anything, and this site doesn't seem even remotely affiliated with CERN. For all the significance of the LHC, there seems to be a severe lack of public information about what's actually going on, especially this late in the game.

CleffedUp said:
Is this site legit? I haven't been able to find public dates for anything, and this site doesn't seem even remotely affiliated with CERN. For all the significance of the LHC, there seems to be a severe lack of public information about what's actually going on, especially this late in the game.
It appears to be someone's personal website.

Evo said:
Yeah, ain't WHOIS grand? ;)

CleffedUp said:
Yeah, ain't WHOIS grand? ;)
Were you peeking when I checked WHOIS? :tongue:

Evo said:

Not really sure what it is. I come up with a link to a travel beaches club as their phone number. They are apparently blind proxied through Dreamhost is all I can see.

Not Cern in any event.

I will celebrate when the Higgs Boson is not found.

George Jones said:

These two probabilities are pretty much linked aren't they?

"Stable Black Holes That Eat Up the Earth, Destroying All Living Organisms in the Process: 10^-25%.

God: 10^-20%. "

Because surely if we find the first we will find the second as all Earth slips into the event horizon.

Schematic of proton injection tests at CERN

sector-test-outline-option-3gif.jpg

Everybody! This thing HAS TO be stopped! It will end the world! No, not by black holes! ANGULAR MOMENTUM! The world will stop spinning and I Love Lucy marathons will never end! The humanity!

I like that --"No Access Underground during test"-----I wonder if they're thinking something may happen like in the movie --'The Philadelphia Experiment'

rewebster said:
"No Access Underground during test"-----I wonder if they're thinking something may happen like in the movie --'The Philadelphia Experiment'
The beam line strays into the pipe walls enough to generate some short lived radiation, it takes a few days to 'cool down' after a run.
There is also the risk of asphyxiation from the helium boil off from a magnet quench.
But the biggest risk is fire, there is a lot of wiring/power down there and a fire in a concrete tunnel underground is difficult to fight.

As someone said to me - In case of fire, the sign-in board is just to know whose names to put on the memorial.

Here is the link to where the image is:
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2008/08/11/lhc-test-successful/

Here is an interesting timeline of when confirmations of various theories may be made:

SuperSymmetryMag said:
2009: Supersymmetry–if the appropriate energy scale is 1TeV

2009/2010: Higgs particle–if it is around 200 GeV in mass.

2010/2011: Higgs particle–if it is around 120 GeV in mass. (The lower energy is harder to see because at that energy, it would decay with the key signature involving photons. However, other decays also have similar photons so you need better statistics to tell the difference. A Higgs at higher energy would probably decay primarily into W bosons, with very obvious characteristic jets of particles coming out of the collision.)

2012: Extra dimensions of space–if the energy scale is 9 TeV

2012: Compositeness–if quarks are actually composite particles instead of being fundamental and that composite nature reveals itself on an energy scale of 40 TeV.

2017: Supersymmetry–if the appropriate energy scale is 3 TeV.

2019: Z‘–if there is a new type of force that comes into play around the 6 TeV energy scale. If it does, the particle that communicates the force is represented by the temporary name Z‘ in analogy with the Z that transmits the weak force.
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2008/04/14/what-can-we-expect-from-the-lhc/

W and Z suck. Z' force? Come on. We can come up with better names than that. Like... like... the Dragon Force or something (nothing to do with the crappy band).

Yeah, that's all I got.

1. What were the goals of the Large Hadron Collider's latest experiments?

The main goal of the Large Hadron Collider's latest experiments was to search for evidence of new particles and physics beyond the Standard Model. This includes testing the existence of dark matter, studying the properties of the Higgs boson, and looking for signs of supersymmetry.

2. When did the Large Hadron Collider's latest experiments take place?

The Large Hadron Collider's latest experiments took place between 2015 and 2018, with a brief shutdown for upgrades and maintenance in 2019. The data collected during this time is still being analyzed and results are being released gradually.

3. How long does it take to analyze the data from the Large Hadron Collider's experiments?

The analysis of data from the Large Hadron Collider's experiments can take several months to years. This is because the data collected is extremely complex and requires a lot of computing power and specialized techniques to interpret.

4. Have any significant results been discovered from the Large Hadron Collider's latest experiments?

Yes, the latest experiments at the Large Hadron Collider have produced several significant results. These include the discovery of a new type of particle called the pentaquark, further evidence supporting the existence of the Higgs boson, and measurements that are helping to refine our understanding of the Standard Model.

5. When can we expect to see more results from the Large Hadron Collider's latest experiments?

The analysis of data from the Large Hadron Collider's latest experiments is an ongoing process and new results are being released regularly. It is expected that more results will be announced in the coming years as scientists continue to analyze the data and make new discoveries.