Solve ODE System: x'=x+y², y'=-y

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, my text suggests that the general solution to this system is x= x_0e^t- (y_0^2)/3)e^{-2t} and y= y_0e^{-t}
Buri

Homework Statement

Solve this system:

x' = x + y²
y' = -y

The Attempt at a Solution

My text solves this by guessing a particular solution. It says:

For the second equation y' = -y yields y(t) = y_0(e^-t). Inserting thisinto the first equation, we must solve:

x' = x + (y_0)²(e^-2t)

This is a first-order nonautonomous equation whose solutions may be determined as in calculus by "guessing" a particaular solution of the form ce^-2t. Inserting this quess into the equation yields a particular solution:

x(t) = (-1/3)(y_0)²e^-2t

Hence any function of the form

x(t) = ce^t - (1/3)(y_0)²e^-2t

is a solution of this equation, as is easily checked.

The general solution is then:

x(t) = (x_0 + (1/3)(y_0)²)e^t - (1/3)(y_0)²e^-2t
y(t) = (y_0)e^-t

I don't see how they got the (x_0 + (1/3)(y_0)²) part? I'm not doing this by guessing but trying to solve this system using integrating factors...but I'm not getting the same answer. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that they are using an integrating factor:
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt}=x+y_{0}^{2}e^{-2t}
[/tex]
So
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}(e^{-t}x(t))=y_{0}^{2}e^{-3t}
[/tex]
Integrate and re-arrange to obtain the answer

Buri said:

Homework Statement

Solve this system:

x' = x + y²
y' = -y

The Attempt at a Solution

My text solves this by guessing a particular solution. It says:

For the second equation y' = -y yields y(t) = y_0(e^-t). Inserting thisinto the first equation, we must solve:

x' = x + (y_0)²(e^-2t)
This is a linear, first order, equation. You can solve it, as hunt_mat says, by using the standard formula for an integrating factor. Since the coefficients of x' and x are constants, you can also use a more general method that can be used for higher order linear equations with constant coefficients.

The "related homogeneous equation" is x'= x (drop the function of t) which has general solution [itex]x= x_0e^t[/itex]. Now look for a specific solution to the entire equation. Because derivatives of [itex]e^{at}[/itex] always involve [itex]e^{at}[/itex], to get [itex]e^{-2t}[/itex], we should try something of the form [itex]x= Ae^{-2t}[/itex]. Then [itex]x'= -2Ae^{-2t}[/itex] and the equation becomes [itex]-2Ae^{-2t}= Ae^{-2t}+ y_0^2e^{-2t}[/itex]. Dividing through by [itex]e^{-2t}[/itex] (which is never 0), we have [itex]-2A= A+ y_0^2[/itex] so that [itex]-3A= y_0^2[/itex] and [itex]A= -y_0^2/3[/itex].

Because the equation is linear, we can construct the general solution to the entire equation by adding the general solution to the related homogeneous equation and any single solution to the entire equation. That is, the general solution to the equation is
[tex]x= x_0e^t- (y_0^2)/3)e^{-2t}[/tex]
and, of course,
[tex]y= y_0e^{-t}[/tex]

Here is yet another method of solving a non-homogeneous linear equation that does not involve "guessing" at the [itex]e^{-2t}[/itex] dependence. Having determined that [itex]e^{t}[/itex] is a solution to the related homogeneous equation, look for a solution of the form [itex]x= u(t)e^t[/itex]. (This is called "variation of parameters" because we are allowing the constant, C, in the solution to the related homogeneous equation, is allowed to vary and become a function of t.) Then, by the product rule, [itex]x'= u'e^t+ ue^t[/itex] so the equation becomes [itex]u'e^t+ ue^t= ue^t+ y_0^2e^{-2t}[/itex]. The two terms [itex]ue^t[/itex] cancel precisely because [itex]e^t[/itex] is a solution to the related homogeneous equation and we are left with [itex]u'e^t= y_0^2e^{-2t}[/itex] so that [itex]u'= y_0^2e^{-3t}[/itex]. Integrating, [itex]u(t)= -(y_0^2/3)e^{-3t}+ C[/itex].

Then [itex]y= u(t)e^t= (-(y_0^2/3)e^{-3t}+ C)e^t= -(y_0^2/3)e^{-2t}+ Ce^t[/itex].

These methods for solving linear, non-homogeneous, differential equations are especially important with equations of higher order and you will learn them when you start working on linear equations of order 2, 3, or higher.

This is a first-order nonautonomous equation whose solutions may be determined as in calculus by "guessing" a particaular solution of the form ce^-2t. Inserting this quess into the equation yields a particular solution:

x(t) = (-1/3)(y_0)²e^-2t

Hence any function of the form

x(t) = ce^t - (1/3)(y_0)²e^-2t

is a solution of this equation, as is easily checked.

The general solution is then:

x(t) = (x_0 + (1/3)(y_0)²)e^t - (1/3)(y_0)²e^-2t
y(t) = (y_0)e^-t

I don't see how they got the (x_0 + (1/3)(y_0)²) part? I'm not doing this by guessing but trying to solve this system using integrating factors...but I'm not getting the same answer. Any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank, I realized later that I wasn't doing anything about the intial conditions and that's where the (x_0 + (1/3)(y_0)²) comes from. I've actually finished the course now and we did the variation of parameters and did higher dimensional planar systems so I was familiar with everything you said, but didn't think of trying to solve it another way. Thanks.

1. What is an ODE system?

An ODE system, or a system of ordinary differential equations, is a set of equations that describe the relationship between a set of dependent variables and their derivatives with respect to an independent variable. It is commonly used in mathematical modeling and can be solved to find the behavior of the dependent variables over time.

2. How do you solve an ODE system?

To solve an ODE system, you can use analytical methods such as separation of variables or substitution, or numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. The method used depends on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is the initial condition in an ODE system?

The initial condition in an ODE system refers to the values of the dependent variables at a specific point in time, usually denoted as t=0. It is necessary to provide initial conditions in order to solve the system and obtain a unique solution.

4. Can you solve an ODE system with non-constant coefficients?

Yes, an ODE system with non-constant coefficients can be solved using methods such as variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve finding a particular solution and then using it to find the general solution of the system.

5. How can I use the solution to an ODE system?

The solution to an ODE system can be used to predict the behavior of the dependent variables over time. It can also be used to analyze the stability of the system and make conclusions about its long-term behavior. In addition, the solution can be used to make predictions for new sets of initial conditions.