Measure Theory-LebesgueMeasurable

• Thread starter WannaBe22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a non-Lebesgue-measurable set in R that contains all rational numbers. The suggestion is made to approach the problem in two parts, first obtaining a nonmeasurable set and then determining if it can contain all rational numbers and still be nonmeasurable. The Vitali set is suggested as a potential solution, but the measurability of its union with a set of measure zero is questioned. It is then concluded that if A is nonmeasurable and contains all rational numbers, A-Q must also be nonmeasurable, leading to a possible contradiction. Further guidance is requested to continue the problem.
WannaBe22

Homework Statement

Is there any non-Lebesgue-Measurable set A in R such as A contains all rational numbers?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried assuming that this is true... If such a set exists, then both [tex] A [/tex] and [tex]A^c [/tex] aren't countable... I've tried looking at [tex] A^c [/tex] ... It's a non-countable set containing only non-rational numbers...I can't find any contradiction from this fact...
[I'm pretty sure the answer to the given question is no...]

Hope you'll be able to help me

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try to construct a nonmeasurable set in such a way that it contains all of [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. Instead, approach the problem in two parts: first get yourself a nonmeasurable set, then try to figure out whether you can make it contain [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] and still be nonmeasurable.

Well...After reading your guidance , I've tried taking the "Vitali Set" (The subset of
[-0.5,0.5] which, for each real number r, contains exactly one number v such that v-r is rational )... If we'll denote this set as P, then we need to consider [tex] P \cup Q [/tex].
P is nonmeasurable and contains excatly one rational numbers...I can't figure out whether our "union set" is measurable or not... We've added to P a set of measure 0...Does the new set is measurable or not?

Hope you'll be able to continue your guidance...

Thanks !

You have reduced the problem to exactly the question you need to answer. Let [tex]A \subset \mathbb{R}[/tex] be any set, and [tex]Z \subset \mathbb{R}[/tex] be a set of measure zero. How is the measurability or nonmeasurability of [tex]A \cup Z[/tex] related to that of [tex]A[/tex]? (What test for measurability should you be using to answer this question?)

Well... [tex] Z [/tex] is obviously measurable...If [tex] A [/tex] is also measurable then [tex] A \cup Z [/tex] is also measurable... Hence, if [tex] A \cup Z [/tex] is nonmeasurable , [tex] A [/tex] must be nonmeasurable... So, if we take a nonmeasurable set [tex] A [/tex], containing all rational numbers, [tex] A-Q [/tex] must also be nonmeasurable...But [tex] A-Q [/tex] is a set contained in the irrational numbers set... Is it a contradiction?
As you can see, I'm pretty much stuck... Hope you'll be able to give me some further guidance

Thanks !

1. What is Measure Theory?

Measure Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of measures and the properties of measurable sets. It provides a formal framework for defining and measuring the size or extent of sets, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science.

2. What is Lebesgue Measurable?

Lebesgue Measurable refers to a set that can be assigned a measure using the Lebesgue measure. This measure is defined in terms of the length, area, or volume of a set in n-dimensional Euclidean space. A set is considered Lebesgue Measurable if it satisfies certain properties related to this measure.

3. What are the main applications of Measure Theory-Lebesgue Measurable?

Measure Theory-Lebesgue Measurable has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of probability theory, integration theory, harmonic analysis, and differential equations. It is also useful in understanding the properties of fractals and in the analysis of data and signals.

4. What are the key concepts in Measure Theory-Lebesgue Measurable?

Some of the key concepts in Measure Theory-Lebesgue Measurable include measures, measurable sets, sigma-algebras, and the Lebesgue measure. Measures are functions that assign a non-negative real number to sets, while measurable sets are those that can be assigned a measure. Sigma-algebras are collections of sets that are closed under certain operations, and the Lebesgue measure is a measure defined on these sigma-algebras.

5. How is Measure Theory-Lebesgue Measurable related to Riemann Integration?

Measure Theory-Lebesgue Measurable is a more general and powerful theory than Riemann Integration. It provides a more flexible and rigorous approach to integration, allowing for the integration of a wider class of functions and sets. In fact, Riemann Integration can be seen as a special case of Lebesgue Integration, where the Lebesgue measure is replaced by the length in one dimension.