Is Faster-Than-Light Travel Possible Through Alcubierre's Theory of Warp Drive?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of traveling faster than light, and it is said that this is possible if the laws of the universe allow it. However, this is only theoretical at this point and has not been proven.
alexbib
out of curiosity, who thinks we'll ever be able to travel faster than light (either directly or through higher dimensional shortcuts) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a physics question. This is philosophy/general discussion. Moved.

<oh, wait, i can't do that>

And I don't think we will.

I agree--sounds like a topic for general discussion.

Eventually I think that we will be able to do anything provided we live long enough to get there.

Nothing is Impossible.

Smurf said:
Nothing is Impossible.
I'd say it would be impossible to stuff my size 8 foot into a size 5 shoe (without modifying one of them). :wink:

'Whoever said 'nothings impossible' never tried to nail jell-o to a tree'
Lisa Bryant

or tried to explain what's so interesting about a Physics Forum to an idiot girlfriend

tribdog said:
or tried to explain what's so interesting about a Physics Forum to an idiot girlfriend

See, that should have been your first clue something was wrong with her. :approve:

lol, that was the 153rd clue.

Chronos said:
Lisa Bryant

That's a good one. I'll try to remember that.

Evo said:
I'd say it would be impossible to stuff my size 8 foot into a size 5 shoe (without modifying one of them). :wink:
Not if your foot were traveing at ... Oh wait, did you need to wear that shoe for a long period of time?

Chronos said:
Lisa Bryant

Anyone who can't nail jello to a tree has obviously never considered temperature. :biggrin:

As for size 8 feet and size 5 shoes, this is just a gauge problem.

Evo said:
You can just wait 150 yrs it will will fit in an envelope. :rofl: You are not actually modifying you foot by that is it?

lol, nobody has a serious opinion?
And it IS a physics question. We will only be able to travel faster than light if the laws of the universe allow it. I guess it might indeed belong more in general discussion though.

From a physics point of view, Relativity, which appears to be pretty darn accurate, says that you can not accelerate to a speed faster than that of light. Travelling faster than light will violate causality. However, this says nothing about the existence of things that are always traveling faster than light...except that we can not interact with them.

I tried giving the Alcubierre Drive paper a look over but it is over my head. But it is said that fits in with relativity and still maintains you can travel faster than light.

Now, perhaps the research Alcubierre did was right or wrong I don't know, but the way in which he exploits the universe for FTL, it seems plausible perhaps. I don't know, like I said it is over my head so don't take my word.

Of course we don't have the power required to do it--but that doesn't negate it -might- be possible.

1. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Why is travelling faster than light considered impossible?

Travelling faster than light would require an infinite amount of energy, which is not possible according to the laws of physics. Additionally, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate to the speed of light.

3. Is it possible to travel faster than light in a different dimension?

The concept of travelling faster than light in a different dimension is purely theoretical and has not been proven. In many theories, the speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed in any dimension.

4. Could wormholes allow for faster-than-light travel?

Wormholes, also known as Einstein-Rosen bridges, are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. However, their existence has not been confirmed and the technology to create and navigate them does not currently exist.

5. Are there any particles that can travel faster than light?

No, all known particles, including neutrinos, which were once thought to travel faster than light, are bound by the speed limit of light. Any faster-than-light travel would require a fundamental change in our understanding of physics.