Harnessing Plasma with a Laser Pointer and Nitrogen

In summary, creating plasma inside your own apparatus using a laser pointer and nitrogen is not possible due to the low intensity of the laser. However, applying a very high voltage between two plates in dry air or nitrogen can generate plasma. You can also purchase a plasma ball or furnace for creating plasma. It is important to note that working with plasma can be dangerous and should be done with caution and proper design principles.
Hxopblxvj
I was wondering if I could create plasma inside my own apparatus using a laser pointer and nitrogen..

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt it; the laser intensity is not high enough.

Well, how can I make plasma

Apply a very high voltage between two plates.

If in dry air/nitrogen, 20,000 volts per cm should generate plasma. You can run the voltage up and down to get corona, arcs, or sparks.

Or you can just buy (a) a plasma ball, or (b) a plasma furnace.

Depends on what you are trying to do with the plasma. I once say a plasma incinerator at a high school science fair - the boy made it in the garage; his parents had no idea what he was doing! It was pretty impressive.

Also very dangerous, but he was very careful, and followed good design principles.

Thanks for the info. Ultra, I appreciate it

1. How does plasma react to a laser pointer and nitrogen?

Plasma is a highly reactive state of matter that is created when a gas is heated to extremely high temperatures. When a laser pointer is shone onto a gas, it can ionize the gas molecules, creating a plasma state. Nitrogen is a commonly used gas for this process as it is easily ionized by a laser.

2. Can a laser pointer generate enough energy to harness plasma?

Yes, a laser pointer can generate enough energy to harness plasma. Laser pointers use a concentrated beam of light to deliver a high amount of energy to a specific point. This energy is enough to ionize gas molecules and create plasma.

3. What are the potential applications of harnessing plasma with a laser pointer and nitrogen?

There are many potential applications for harnessing plasma with a laser pointer and nitrogen. It can be used in industrial processes, such as cutting and welding, as well as in medical procedures, such as sterilization and tissue removal. It can also be used for research purposes, such as studying plasma dynamics and properties.

4. Is there a specific type of laser pointer that is best for harnessing plasma?

There is no specific type of laser pointer that is best for harnessing plasma. However, laser pointers with higher power outputs and shorter wavelengths tend to be more effective at creating plasma. It is important to use caution when using high-powered laser pointers, as they can be dangerous if not handled properly.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when working with plasma and a laser pointer?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when working with plasma and a laser pointer. It is important to always wear appropriate eye protection when using a laser pointer, as the concentrated beam of light can cause damage to the eyes. It is also important to use the laser in a well-ventilated area, as the ionization of gas can release harmful fumes. Additionally, be sure to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer of the laser pointer.