Pinched plasma inside a neutral beam injector

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a similar concept to the Zap Energies sheared flow pinch reactor in a neutral beam injector. The idea is to first compress and heat the plasma inside the NBI using a pinch, then heat it using microwaves, accelerate it, and neutralize it. However, it is pointed out that this may not be efficient as the NBI machine is already designed to add reactants and energy to the plasma. Additionally, compressing bare ions is more difficult than compressing a neutral plasma. RF heating is also mentioned as a method used to directly heat the tokamak plasma.
Andrewtv848
TL;DR Summary
I was wondering if you could use a Z pinch as well as microwaves to heat a plasma inside a neutral beam injector?
Let me start this off with saying I am just a uneducated idiot, But after reading about Zap Energies sheared flow pinch reactor I was wondering if you could use a similar concept in a neutral beam injector? Like could you first compress and heat the plasma inside of a NBI using a pinch, then heat it using microwaves, accelerate it and neutralize it.
Its just a rough idea and I probably over looked something completely obvious but it would be nagging at me if I didn't ask.
thank you for your time,
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you look at the basic articles with respect to this topic?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral-beam_injection

Neutral beam injection actually accelerates the ions that it uses after it strips electrons from ions before the acceleration phase. Then once the ions are accelerated it reintroduces electrons so that the fast ions could enter the plasma without being deflected , because the charge on both protons and electrons is the same strength but the mass differs by alot, so it is essential to accelerate the ions instead of electrons.
The gained kinetic energy then adds to the plasma energy by interactions.I don't believe your idea is meaningful because the NBI machine in of itself is a way to add reactants to the tokamak plasma while also adding energy to it.
+ to compress bare ions is much harder than to compress a plasma that is neutral also having electrons present because bare ions have higher electrostatic repulsion than if they are within a plasma that also has electrons.

On the microwaves part I'm not sure but I would believe that it wouldn't be efficient because the idea within a neutral beam injector is to cause the ion beam to gain linear momentum so that after recombination with electrons they can fly into the fusion plasma much like a car accelerates within the accelerating lane to flow within the highway traffic , only unlike a car on a highway the accelerated ions then interact with existing ones within the fusion plasma and share their energy.
RF heating is done directly to the tokamak plasma with antennas located on the inner sides of the tokamak chamber.

1. What is a pinched plasma inside a neutral beam injector?

A pinched plasma inside a neutral beam injector is a type of plasma discharge that occurs within a device called a neutral beam injector. This device is used in fusion reactors to produce a beam of high-energy neutral particles. The pinched plasma is a highly compressed and confined region of plasma that is created within the injector.

2. How is a pinched plasma created inside a neutral beam injector?

A pinched plasma is created inside a neutral beam injector by using a strong magnetic field to compress and confine the plasma. The magnetic field is created by passing a current through a set of coils surrounding the injector. The plasma is then injected into the magnetic field, where it is compressed and heated to high temperatures.

3. What is the purpose of a pinched plasma inside a neutral beam injector?

The main purpose of a pinched plasma inside a neutral beam injector is to produce a beam of high-energy neutral particles. This beam is used to heat and sustain the plasma in a fusion reactor, which is necessary for the fusion reaction to occur. The pinched plasma also helps to reduce the amount of impurities in the beam, which can interfere with the fusion process.

4. How does a pinched plasma affect the performance of a neutral beam injector?

A pinched plasma can greatly improve the performance of a neutral beam injector. By compressing and confining the plasma, the injector can produce a more intense and focused beam of neutral particles. This leads to higher heating efficiency and better control of the plasma in the fusion reactor.

5. Are there any potential issues or challenges associated with pinched plasma inside a neutral beam injector?

While pinched plasma can greatly improve the performance of a neutral beam injector, there are some potential issues and challenges that may arise. These include instabilities in the plasma, which can affect the quality of the beam, and the need for careful control of the magnetic field to maintain the pinched plasma. Additionally, the high temperatures and intense radiation in the injector can cause damage to the materials and components, requiring regular maintenance and replacement.