Why Did I Calculate the Cliff's Height Incorrectly?

• Thread starter confusedaboutphysics
  • Start date
In summary, using the given information of the diver's velocity and time, the cliff was calculated to be 44.1m high and the distance from the base to where the diver hit the water was 3.6m. The correct formulas were used, but there was a mix-up in the calculations.
confusedaboutphysics
need help please! what am i doing wrong??

A diver running 1.2 m/s dives out horizontally from the edge of a vertical cliff and reaches the water below 3.0 s later. How high was the cliff and how far from its base did the diver hit the water?

so does v = 1.2 m/s and t=3 seconds
i used the formula Vxo=X/t so i did 1.2=x/3 so x = 3.6m for the first part of the question. for the second part of the question i used the formula y=-1/2gt^2 so i did y=(-1/2)(-9.8)(3^2) = 44.1m.
so i said that the cliff was 3.6m high and the base was 44.1m away. but i got it wrong. am i using the right formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the right formulas but you switched em, he landed 3.6 m away and the cliff was 44.1m high!

ohh! thank you so much! it didn't sound right that a cliff was 3.6m high and he hit the water at 44.1m! lol

1. Why am I struggling to solve this problem?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty solving your problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, insufficient data or resources, or a flaw in your approach. It is important to step back and assess the situation objectively to determine the root cause of the problem.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and persistence. It is important to understand the fundamentals of the subject and continuously challenge yourself with new problems. Seeking guidance from experts and learning from their problem-solving techniques can also be beneficial.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to solve a problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a problem include jumping to conclusions too quickly, neglecting to consider alternate solutions, and not seeking feedback from others. It is important to approach the problem with an open mind and carefully consider all possible solutions.

4. How can I break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts?

Breaking down a complex problem into smaller parts can help make it more manageable. Some strategies for doing this include identifying the key components of the problem, creating a flowchart or diagram to visualize the problem, and breaking the problem down into smaller, more specific questions to be answered.

5. What are some resources I can use to get help with problem-solving?

There are many resources available to help with problem-solving, such as textbooks, online tutorials and forums, and consultation with experts in the field. It can also be helpful to collaborate with others and discuss approaches and solutions to the problem. Additionally, seeking guidance and feedback from a mentor or teacher can be beneficial.