Minimum Speed for a Horizontally Projected Diver to Clear a Ledge

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a diver jumping off a cliff and the minimum speed required to avoid hitting a ledge below. The equations used to solve the problem are mentioned, and the issue of the diver's weight not being a factor in the solution is addressed. The inclusion of the diver's weight in the problem is seen as a way to test students' understanding of basic principles, and the conversation ends with a humorous comment about wishing to weigh 510N.
dregozo

Homework Statement

A daring 510N swimmer dives off a cliff with a horizontal leap. What must his minimum speed be just as he leaves the top of the cliff so that he will miss the ledge at the bottom, which is 1.75m wide and 9.00m below the top of the cliff?

Homework Equations

s=1/2gt^2 ; v=s/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equations in that order, and arrived at an answer. My issue is that I did not use the 510N at all! Where does the diver's weight come in?

Physics news on Phys.org
dregozo said:
Where does the diver's weight come in?
It doesn't! This is a projectile motion problem and all projectiles have the same acceleration, independent of mass.

My exact reasoning.. so why did the examiner include the 510N?? To test students if they know that g is independent of mass?

dregozo said:
so why did the examiner include the 510N?? To test students if they know that g is independent of mass?
Sure, why not? That's one good reason to include it -- to see how confident you are with the basics.

Is this just a part of a multi-part question?

No, it's the entire question. Nothing more was asked. Strange, right?

It happens often. Keeps you on your toes! (And drives students nuts!) :smile:

I wish I weighed 510N :-(

CWatters said:
I wish I weighed 510N :-(
LOL. (Me too!)

1. What is a horizontally projected diver?

A horizontally projected diver is a type of diving movement where the diver propels themselves horizontally off a platform or springboard, as opposed to vertically. It is commonly seen in competitive diving events.

2. How is a horizontally projected diver different from a traditional dive?

A horizontally projected diver differs from a traditional dive in the direction of movement. In a traditional dive, the diver jumps vertically off the platform and enters the water in a vertical position. In a horizontally projected dive, the diver jumps horizontally and enters the water in a horizontal position.

3. What are the key techniques for performing a successful horizontally projected dive?

The key techniques for a successful horizontally projected dive include a strong push off the platform, a tight and compact body position, and controlled arm movements to maintain balance and direction. It also requires proper timing and coordination to enter the water at the correct angle.

4. What are the common mistakes made by divers when attempting a horizontally projected dive?

Common mistakes made by divers when attempting a horizontally projected dive include not having enough speed or height, losing balance and direction during the dive, and entering the water at the wrong angle. It also requires a lot of practice and precision to execute a successful horizontally projected dive.

5. Is a horizontally projected dive more difficult than a traditional dive?

It is subjective whether a horizontally projected dive is more difficult than a traditional dive. It requires different techniques and skills, so some divers may find it more challenging while others may find it easier. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's abilities and strengths.