How Do Divers Calculate Impact Velocity and Maximum Height Reached?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving kinematics equations. In problem 1, a diver springs upward from a 2.5 m board with an initial speed of 1.8 m/s and the goal is to find the velocity with which he strikes the water and the highest point he reaches above the water. The work/energy theorem can be used to solve the first part, or one can consider that the diver's velocity will be equal in magnitude but opposite in direction upon his return to the same height. For problem 2, a ball is thrown upward from the top of a 55.0 m tall building with an initial speed of 12.0 m/s and the goal is to find the average speed of a
RKNY
Problem 1

Homework Statement

A diver springs upward with an initial speed of 1.8 m/s from a 2.5 m board.
(a) Find the velocity with which he strikes the water. (Hint: When the diver reaches the water, his displacement is y = -2.5 m (measured from the board), assuming that the downward direction is chosen as the negative direction.)
(b) What is the highest point he reaches above the water?

Homework Equations

The four kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) used V^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2ay
V^2 = 1.8^2 + 2(-9.8)(-2.5) = 7.2 m/s which is wrong.
(b) Found out (b) to be 2.7 by 0 = 3.24 +19.6y and adding that to 2.5

Just can't seem to figure out (a). There is another problem which is similar and I guess I just don't seem to understand when something is shot/thrown up first and then falling.
Problem 2

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upward from the top of a 55.0 m tall building. The ball's initial speed is 12.0 m/s. At the same instant, a person is running on the ground at a distance of 37.0 m from the building. What must be the average speed of the person if he is to catch the ball at the bottom of the building?

Homework Equations

The four kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The time the ball is thrown up
V = V(initial) + (a)(t)
0 = 12.0 + 9.8(t)
t = 1.2245 s
The time the ball is thrown down
y = V(initial)*t + 1/2(a)(t^2)
t = 3.35
Total time of 1.2245 s + 3.35 s = 4.6 s
Avg. Spd = D/T
37 m / 4.6 = 8.0 m/s = not the right answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 1
Do you know the work/energy theorem? If so that makes the first part very easy. If not, you know that on his return trip down, the instant he returns to the same height he jumped off that the velocity will be equal in magnitude (opposite in direction) to the initial velocity.

Problem 2
You made a sign error in your first equation, but recovered somehow. Anyway, I think you must misused the second equation in some way, but you never showed what numbers you put in.

Mindscrape said:
Problem 1
Do you know the work/energy theorem? If so that makes the first part very easy. If not, you know that on his return trip down, the instant he returns to the same height he jumped off that the velocity will be equal in magnitude (opposite in direction) to the initial velocity.

Problem 2
You made a sign error in your first equation, but recovered somehow. Anyway, I think you must misused the second equation in some way, but you never showed what numbers you put in.

Problem 1
I tried using 1.8 as the V(initial), a = -9.80, y = -2.5
V^2 = -1.8^2 + 2(-9.80)(-2.5)
V = 7.23 but it was wrong. I don't know but it just seems right to me.

Problem 2
originally I put
y = -55, v(initial) = 0, a = -9.80
Y = 0 + 1/2(a)(t^2)
-55 = 0 + 1/2 (-9.80)(t^2)
t = 3.35029

Last edited:
For the first one, did you consider what direction the velocity should be in?

For the second one, is the initial velocity really zero at the top of the building?

Mindscrape said:
For the second one, is the initial velocity really zero at the top of the building?

Okay, thought about what u said and I believe I figured it out. Please let me know if this is correct.

Time it takes for the ball to go up
V = V(initial) + (a)(t)
0 = 12.0 + (-9.80*t)
t = 1.2244 s
Time for the ball to go down from its peak being thrown up
0 = -12.0 + (9.80*t)
t = 1.2244 s
Time for the ball going down from the top of the building
V(initial) = -12.0
a = -9.80
y = 55

y = V(initial)*t + 1/2(a)(t^2)
55 = -12.0t - 4.9t^2
t = 4.7915 s

Add them all together
2(1.2244) + 4.7915 = 7.24 s

Avg. Speed = D/T

37/7.24 = 5.11 m/s avg. speed he needs to run to get to the building

Yes, that looks good. You could have saved yourself some time by multiplying the first time you found by two, since you know that it will take an object the same amount of time to return to its initial position from the max height as it took to get to the max height. But, if you are ever in doubt it is always best to do what you know works.

What is diver free fall physics?

Diver free fall physics is the study of how objects, specifically human divers, move through the air and water while falling without any external forces acting on them.

What factors affect a diver's free fall?

The main factors that affect a diver's free fall are gravity, air resistance, and water resistance. These forces can either increase or decrease the speed at which a diver falls, and can also affect the direction of their movement.

How does the position of a diver affect their free fall?

The position of a diver can greatly impact their free fall. A streamlined, horizontal position will reduce air resistance and allow the diver to fall faster, while a vertical position will increase air resistance and slow their fall. Additionally, a diver's position can also affect their orientation and control in the water.

What are the safety considerations for divers during free fall?

Safety is a crucial aspect of diver free fall physics. Divers must be properly trained and equipped, and must adhere to safety protocols and procedures to prevent accidents and injuries. Factors such as wind, currents, and visibility must also be taken into account when planning a dive.

How is diver free fall physics applied in other fields?

Diver free fall physics has practical applications in various fields, such as sports like skydiving and cliff diving, military training, and scientific research. The principles of free fall are also important in understanding the movement of objects in space and calculating trajectories for space missions.