Redox Reactions Homework: Cr+2, K2Cr2O7, HNO3 Answers

In summary, the resultant formula for Cr2+ getting reduced is Cr+2 + 2e- ---> Cr(s). The answer to the question of whether acidified K2Cr2O7 solution will react with HNO3 is no, as both substances are already oxidized and cannot be further oxidized.
Fusilli_Jerry89

Homework Statement

1) Give the resultant fomula for: Cr2+ gets reduced.

2) Will the following reaction occur? Acidified K2Cr2O7 solution is added to HNO3(nitric acid).

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I put: Cr+2 + 2e- ---> Cr(s); I have one question though...doesn't this half-reaction not exist?

2) I put no for this question because I saw that all 4 species are oxidizers. But I am just wondering, if it says acidified K2Cr2O7, does that just refer to: the reaction with Cr2O7-2 that includes 14H+?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to the first question is correct. For the second question you should consult a table of the electrochemical series. You might find this in an Appendix of your textbook or you can consult the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.

In general chemisttree is right that you should consult tables. However, you mix two substances that are already oxidized. Neither HNO3 nor K2Cr2O7 can be further oxidized as long as we are not talking about some exotic compounds (to be honest - I am not aware of such compounds, but then I know I don't know everything :) ).

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two reactants. One reactant loses electrons (oxidation) and the other gains electrons (reduction).

2. What are the reactants in the redox reaction involving Cr+2, K2Cr2O7, and HNO3?

The reactants in this redox reaction are Cr+2, K2Cr2O7, and HNO3. Cr+2 is the reducing agent and gets oxidized to Cr+3. K2Cr2O7 is the oxidizing agent and gets reduced to Cr+3. HNO3 is the acid and provides protons for the reaction.

3. What is the role of Cr+2 in this redox reaction?

Cr+2 is the reducing agent in this redox reaction. It loses two electrons to become Cr+3, which is a more stable state. This reduction of Cr+2 causes the oxidation of another reactant, making it the reducing agent.

4. What is the purpose of using K2Cr2O7 in this redox reaction?

K2Cr2O7 is the oxidizing agent in this redox reaction. It gains three electrons to become Cr+3, which is a more stable state. This oxidation of K2Cr2O7 causes the reduction of another reactant, making it the oxidizing agent.

5. What is the role of HNO3 in this redox reaction?

HNO3 is the acid in this redox reaction. It provides protons for the reaction, which helps in the transfer of electrons between the reactants. Additionally, HNO3 also acts as an oxidizing agent, as it can accept electrons from other reactants.