How Does Angular Velocity Relate to Harmonic Motion in a Rolling Ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a bowl with a stationary circular surface and a rolling ball with given mass and moment of inertia. The first question asks for the relation between angular velocity and the rate of change of the angle formed between the bowl's main axis and the radius stretching to the ball. The second question involves finding the relation between angular velocity and the angle, given that the ball starts at a certain height above the surface. Finally, the third question asks for the period of harmonic movement, using a hint to differentiate the function for angular velocity and solve for a linear differential equation. The conversation also mentions using approximations for sine and cosine in terms of theta to simplify the equation.
cosmic_tears
Hi.
Ok, I've given this question already soooooo much time and I simply cannot solve it.

Homework Statement

There's a circular surface that's holding still (like a bowl), with radius R, and a ball, with radius r, on it.
The ball is rolling without sliding.
The mass of the ball and it's moment of intertia are given.
1. First question - express the relation between W, which is the angular velocity of the ball, and "d(theta)/dt", where "theta" is the angle formed in any time between the "main axis of the bowl" and the radius streaching to the ball.
2. Second question - find the relation between W and theta(not theta dot as before), given that the ball starts it's movement at hight "h" above the surface.
3. Third and last - given that the ball is oscillating in small values of theta, what is the period time of the harmonic movement? (they give a hint: differentiate (with t) the function we found in the last questions - W(theta), find a "movement equation", and compare it to the "harmonic oscillation" classic equation.

!

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I Think I did that - w(t)* r = (theta dot) * R.
2.Ok, here I used mechanical energy cons. and after some effort found a pretty complex relation between W and theta. I won't specify it here but it has square root and all :)
3. Here's the real trouble:
From their hint I think I need to find d(W(t))/dt ? So I can do that using the "chain law" (I'm not sure if that's the name) and take the derivitive of t like this:
d(W(t))/dt = d(W(theta))/d(theta) * d(theta)/d(t)
After doing that, using the relations I got in the previous questions, I get a non-linear, second-order diffrential equation. Not solvable of course.

The excercise is a pretty classic one, just a plate with a ball rolling on it - but I still find it very complicated! Maybe I'm over-complicating things?

I'm desprate for help :-\

Thank you very much for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they are referring to small [tex]\theta[/tex], approximate [tex]sin\theta\approx\theta[/tex] and [tex]cos\theta\approx1[/tex].

Then you get a linear diff. equation. It should the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator.

Last edited:
I know that. I've tried that. Still not a linear diff. equation.

If I must, I'll post my calculations...
However, it's so hard to write them in here...

Thanks anyway.

I'm getting a linear differential equation... there's a major cancellation (simplification) that happens when you substitute in [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] into your equation for [tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/tex]

You can get [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex] using your 2 equations for [tex]\omega[/tex]... the one you get in the first part, and the one you get in the conservation of energy part.

What causes the ball to roll on the bowl?

The ball rolls on the bowl due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the center of the bowl. This force, combined with the ball's initial momentum, causes it to roll around the curved surface.

What is the relationship between the ball's speed and the bowl's curvature?

The ball's speed is directly related to the bowl's curvature. A steeper curvature will cause the ball to roll faster, while a shallower curvature will result in a slower roll.

How does friction affect the ball's movement on the bowl?

Friction between the ball and the bowl's surface will slow down the ball's movement, causing it to eventually come to a stop. The amount of friction depends on the materials of the ball and the bowl, as well as the force applied to the ball.

What happens when the ball reaches the top of the bowl?

When the ball reaches the top of the bowl, it will have reached its maximum potential energy. The force of gravity will then pull the ball back down the bowl, converting the potential energy back into kinetic energy.

Can the ball ever roll around the bowl indefinitely?

No, due to the effects of friction, the ball will eventually come to a stop. However, the ball can continue to roll for a longer period of time if there is less friction or if the bowl has a smoother surface.