What am I Missing? Solving Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tangential acceleration of a ball rolling down a loop track. The solution is found using conservation of energy and differentiating with respect to time. However, there is a discrepancy in the results when accounting for rolling and friction. The conversation also touches on the sudden change in acceleration at the point where the linear and circular portions of the track meet, and the concept of jerk.
Vivek98phyboy
Homework Statement
Below figure shows a small spherical ball of mass m rolling down the loop track. The ball is released on the linear portion at a vertical height H from the lowest point. The circular part shown has a radius R.

Find the tangential acceleration of the centre of mass of the ball when it is at A.
Relevant Equations
Started solving with Conservation of energy

mgH= mgR(1+sin(theta)) + ((Iw²)/2) + mv²/2
IMG_20200725_103208.jpg

By solving conservation of energy, I was able to find the linear velocity which is
[10g(H-R-Rsin(theta))/7]^½ and by differentiating this with respect to "t", I arrived at the tangential acceleration value of -(5gcos(theta))/7 and found it to be in agreement with the solution provided in the book.

But when I draw a free body diagram of the ball by resolving it into radial and tangential component, If I had resolved it properly, i found that the Normal force and mg.sin(theta) points along the radius inwards and mgcos(theta) points along the tangential direction.

Given the scenario that mgcos(theta) is the only force along tangential direction, shouldn't the tangential acceleration be -gcos(theta)?

What am I missing?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Vivek98phyboy said:
Homework Statement:: Below figure shows a small spherical ball of mass m rolling down the loop track. The ball is released on the linear portion at a vertical height H from the lowest point. The circular part shown has a radius R.

Find the tangential acceleration of the centre of mass of the ball when it is at A.
Relevant Equations:: Started solving with Conservation of energy

mgH= mgR(1+sin(theta)) + ((Iw²)/2) + mv²/2

View attachment 266809
By solving conservation of energy, I was able to find the linear velocity which is
[10g(H-R-Rsin(theta))/7]^½ and by differentiating this with respect to "t", I arrived at the tangential acceleration value of -(5gcos(theta))/7 and found it to be in agreement with the solution provided in the book.

But when I draw a free body diagram of the ball by resolving it into radial and tangential component, If I had resolved it properly, i found that the Normal force and mg.sin(theta) points along the radius inwards and mgcos(theta) points along the tangential direction.

Given the scenario that mgcos(theta) is the only force along tangential direction, shouldn't the tangential acceleration be -gcos(theta)?

What am I missing?
You took rolling into account when calculating the tangential acceleration from the energy, but ignored rolling in the other case. it is also the static friction causing rolling that acts on the ball.

Likes Vivek98phyboy and Delta2
An interesting thing appears at the point where the straight line conjugates with the circle: the acceleration jumps

Likes Lnewqban, Vivek98phyboy and Delta2
wrobel said:
An interesting thing appears at the point where the straight line conjugates with the circle: the acceleration jumps
You mean because centripetal acceleration "suddenly" appears there? As far as i know acceleration need not be continuous, its velocity that is usually continuous.

Likes Vivek98phyboy
Delta2 said:
You mean because centripetal acceleration "suddenly" appears there?
Delta2 said:
As far as i know acceleration need not be continuous, its velocity that is usually continuous.
yes, but I believe that such things should be stressed

ehild said:
You took rolling into account when calculating the tangential acceleration from the energy, but ignored rolling in the other case. it is also the static friction causing rolling that acts on the ball.
You are right. When I took friction into account, I got it right.

Thank you

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
wrobel said:
I didn't notice this. Thank you for pointing out this fact

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
Vivek98phyboy said:
I didn't notice this. Thank you for pointing out this fact
Rate of change of acceleration is sometimes called 'jerk'. It is important in ergonomics. A standing passenger on a slowing bus has to brace herself against the inertial force; at the instant the bus stops the inertial force vanishes, causing her to lurch backwards.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we turn on a light switch, electrical energy is converted into light energy. When we ride a bike, our body's chemical energy is transformed into kinetic energy. By understanding conservation of energy, we can make more efficient use of resources and reduce waste.

3. What are some real-world examples of conservation of energy?

Some real-world examples of conservation of energy include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster moving along its track, a ball rolling down a hill, and a battery powering a device. In each of these cases, energy is transformed from one form to another, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

4. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs how energy behaves. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, from small particles to the entire universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of sustainable energy sources.

5. How is conservation of energy related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is essentially a statement of the principle of conservation of energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, conservation of energy is a fundamental principle that underlies the first law of thermodynamics.