Abstract Algebra - Normal groups

In summary, a normal group in abstract algebra is a subgroup of a larger group that remains unchanged under conjugation by any element of the larger group. It is different from a regular subgroup as it has the additional property of being invariant under conjugation. A normal subgroup is a subgroup that is also a normal group, meaning it is invariant under conjugation and contains all of its conjugates. Normal groups can be identified by checking for invariance under conjugation and often have specific properties. They have real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and cryptography.
TheForumLord

Homework Statement

I'll be delighted to receive some guidance in the following questions:

1. Let G1,G2 be simple groups. Prove that every normal non-trivial subgroup of G= G1 x G2 is isomorphic to G1 or to G2...

2. Prove that every group of order p^2 * q where p,q are primes is solvable...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no idea about the second question. But the first one seems very easy, but I can't figure out how to solve it.

Help is needed

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm happy to assist you with these questions. For the first question, we can use the fact that if H is a normal subgroup of G1 x G2, then H is a direct product of normal subgroups of G1 and G2 respectively. Since G1 and G2 are simple groups, their only normal subgroups are the trivial subgroup and the group itself. Therefore, the only possible non-trivial normal subgroups of G1 x G2 are direct products of G1 and G2. Can you take it from here and prove that these are indeed isomorphic to G1 or G2?

For the second question, we can use the fact that every group of order p^2 * q must have a normal subgroup of order p^2. This is because by Sylow's theorems, there must be a subgroup of order p^2, and since p is prime, this subgroup must be normal. Can you think of how to use this normal subgroup to show that the group is solvable?

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further clarification. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is a normal group in abstract algebra?

A normal group is a subgroup of a larger group that remains unchanged when conjugated by any element of the larger group. In other words, if a subgroup is normal, it will contain all of its conjugates.

2. How is a normal group different from a regular subgroup?

A regular subgroup is any subgroup of a larger group, while a normal group has the additional property of being invariant under conjugation. This means that normal groups have a special type of symmetry that regular subgroups do not.

3. What is a normal subgroup in the context of normal groups?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup that is also a normal group. This means that the subgroup is invariant under conjugation by any element of the larger group, and it contains all of its conjugates.

4. How can I identify a normal group?

One way to identify a normal group is by checking if it is invariant under conjugation. If the subgroup remains unchanged when conjugated by any element of the larger group, then it is a normal group. Additionally, normal groups often have certain properties or characteristics that can help identify them.

5. What are some real-world applications of normal groups?

Normal groups have many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and cryptography. For example, in physics, normal groups are used to study symmetries in physical systems. In chemistry, normal groups can help understand the structure and behavior of molecules. In cryptography, normal groups are used in encryption algorithms to ensure data security.