How to stay in touch with physics in a gap year?

In summary, the individual is looking for recommendations on how to stay engaged with physics during a 1.5 year gap before starting formal studies. Reading books and participating in online forums are suggested, along with searching for online physics lectures such as those offered by MIT. The individual expresses interest in calculus-based physics and is grateful for the suggestion.
magnetic flux
Hello,

I just finished school and I want to study physics, but I have to wait about 1.5 years until I can start with it. What would you recommend to stay in touch with physics during that time? Reading books would be the thing I came up with, would you say that reading in forums like this would help as well?

Greetings,

m. flux

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd also search the web for online physics lectures. I believe MIT has a good series of videos for calculus-based physics, if you're familiar enough with the higher math.

Thank you, that is a nice idea. Calculus Physics sounds like a good followup to what I have been doing in school.

Edit: Found something: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

Last edited:

Related to How to stay in touch with physics in a gap year?

1. How can I continue learning about physics during my gap year?

One way to stay in touch with physics during a gap year is to enroll in online courses or lectures offered by universities or educational organizations. You can also read books, articles, and research papers related to physics, participate in online forums or discussion groups, and attend conferences or workshops.

2. Is there a way to apply my knowledge of physics in a practical setting during my gap year?

There are several opportunities to apply physics in a practical setting during a gap year. You can volunteer or intern at a research lab, science museum, or engineering company. You can also join a physics-related project or club, such as a robotics team or environmental conservation group.

3. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in physics during my gap year?

To stay updated on the latest developments in physics, you can subscribe to scientific journals and magazines, follow reputable science news websites and social media accounts, and attend virtual or in-person seminars and talks. Connecting with other physics enthusiasts or professionals can also help you stay informed.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge areas I should focus on during my gap year to prepare for a physics degree?

Some important skills and knowledge areas to focus on during a gap year to prepare for a physics degree include mathematics (especially calculus and linear algebra), computer programming, experimental design and data analysis, and understanding fundamental principles and concepts in physics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

5. How can I balance staying in touch with physics during my gap year with other responsibilities or activities?

It's important to find a balance between staying connected with physics and other responsibilities or activities during a gap year. You can set aside a specific amount of time each week to dedicate to physics-related learning and activities, and prioritize your tasks accordingly. It's also important to take breaks and engage in other hobbies or interests to avoid burnout.