Ram Speed vs. Latency: What Matters for Gaming PC Performance?

• Thread starter rollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram Speed
In summary, when buying RAM for a gaming PC, higher speeds are preferred over lower latency. While tighter timings may improve benchmarking scores, the difference in day-to-day use is minimal. The graphics card is the most important component for gaming performance, so investing more in that rather than spending extra on RAM is recommended. It is also important to consider the maximum capacity and data transfer rate of the RAM that is compatible with the motherboard. The Steam Hardware forums are recommended for staying up to date on hardware options. Ultimately, it is necessary to balance the system and budget for the best gaming experience.
rollcast
What should I be looking for if I'm buying ram for a gaming pc, higher speeds or lower latency or is it all just a bit academic and doesn't make that much real life difference apart from benchmarking?

Computer science news on Phys.org
My preference is higher speeds, I don't overclock my systems anymore so I don't really worry about having the best timings to get every point out of a benchmark. As you said outside of benchmarking, its hard to see any real difference in day to day use. Your GFX card is going to be the biggest decider on how good your games run, significantly more than RAM.

So if you have a choice, $50 more for tighter timings or higher frequency or $50 more on the video card, chances are the video card will give you better bang for buck

I recommend the Steam Hardware forums for anything gaming related.

Routaran is correct in my opinion. These days almost any decent quad core processor and 8gb of ram will do the trick and the real decision is what graphics card to buy and how to balance the system for whatever budget you have and games you prefer to play. That's why I recommend the Steam Hardware forums because the prices and quality on parts can change dramatically every few months and they tend to keep on top of such things and maintain a well moderated hardware forum.

You should look for when considering from RAM capacity side, maximum capacity your pc's motherboard support for one RAM slot on motherboard.Also there is a posibility that your pc's motherboard has more than 1 RAM slots.You have to install all RAM slots with the RAMs with the capacity for 1 RAM I explained earlier. Also each RAM should have highest data transfer rate which will compatible with your PC motherboard.If RAM's data transfer rate is lower than that you motherboard supports then you can not get the maximum performance.Because of that each RAM should have highest data transfer rate which will compatible with your PC motherboard.

you need to graphics card for gaming pc also.

rollcast said:
higher speeds or lower latency?
You can do the math yourself. Multiply the latency numbers by (1) / (frequency) to get the total cycle times. Also you're limited to what your motherboard / cpu allows for voltage, speed, and latency settings. In the case of LGA 1155 motherboard / cpus, the cpu's drive the memory bus and Intel processors like the 2600K limit the voltage to 1.5 volts (+/- 5%). Intel link:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029913.htm#4

1. What is the difference between RAM speed and latency?

RAM speed refers to the frequency at which data can be accessed and transferred, measured in megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz). Latency, on the other hand, measures the time it takes for the RAM to respond to a request for data. In simpler terms, RAM speed determines how quickly data can be transferred, while latency determines how long it takes for the data to start transferring.

2. Which is more important, RAM speed or latency?

Both RAM speed and latency are important factors in determining a computer's performance. However, the specific impact of each varies depending on the type of tasks the computer is performing. For tasks that require frequent access to large amounts of data, RAM speed is more important. For tasks that require quick response times, such as gaming, latency is more important.

3. How do I know what RAM speed and latency my computer has?

You can check the specifications of your computer's motherboard or use system information tools to determine your RAM speed and latency. You can also use benchmarking software to test the performance of your RAM and see how it compares to other systems.

4. Can I upgrade the RAM speed or latency of my computer?

It is possible to upgrade the RAM speed and latency of your computer, but it may not always be necessary or feasible. Upgrading RAM speed may require replacing the RAM modules with ones that have a higher frequency, while upgrading latency may require adjusting settings in the computer's BIOS. It is important to consult with a professional or do thorough research before attempting to upgrade RAM speed or latency.

5. How does RAM speed and latency affect gaming performance?

RAM speed and latency can have a significant impact on gaming performance. Higher RAM speed can result in faster loading times and smoother gameplay, while lower latency can improve response times and reduce lag. However, other factors such as the graphics card and processor also play a role in gaming performance, so upgrading RAM alone may not lead to a significant improvement.