Solving the Schrodinger Equation for Fusion Process | Integral Help

• Thread starter eoghan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the Schrodinger equation for a fusion process. The individual has come up with an integral and is seeking guidance on how to solve it. Through the use of integration by parts and substitution, they were able to solve the integral and confirm its correctness from a physical standpoint.
eoghan
Hi all!
I'm trying to solve the Schrodinger equation for a fusion process. I came up with this integral
[tex]
\int dx\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}-1}
[/tex]
I can't see how to solve it... can you please give me an hint?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok... I applied the integration by part and now I have
[tex]
\int dx\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-1}}
[/tex]
I know that the result is proportional to [itex]atan(\sqrt{x-1})[/itex] and this is also correct by a physical point of view. The problem is how to prove that the integral is proportional to the arctangent...

Ok... I got it! I made the substitution [itex]y=\sqrt{x-1}[/itex] and I finally solved the integral

Glad we could help!

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function within a given interval.

Why do we need help with integrals?

Integrals can be complex and require advanced mathematical knowledge to solve. Many people seek help with integrals to ensure accuracy and efficiency in their calculations.

How do you solve an integral?

The process of solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it within a given interval. This can be done through various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities.

What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Common mistakes when solving integrals include incorrect application of integration techniques, forgetting to use the chain rule, and forgetting to include the constant of integration.

What resources are available for help with integrals?

There are various resources available for help with integrals, including online tutorials, textbooks, and tutors. Many universities also have math help centers or tutoring services for students who need assistance with integrals.