What is the value of 1 monolayer in nanometers?

• Thread starter yzou_ua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary: Actually, what i want to do is using my numerical model to simulate the experiment. That's why i need to know the exact length, height, etc. So, i should use "5 nm" in above example to simulate the QD. Right?
yzou_ua
Always be used in experiments... but when it appears in literature, most authors never tell the exact value of 1 ML (monolayer).

So, what is the value, generally??

Physics news on Phys.org
yzou_ua said:
Always be used in experiments... but when it appears in literature, most authors never tell the exact value of 1 ML (monolayer).

So, what is the value, generally??

This is not a universal value. It depends on the material and crystal structure of what is being deposited.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is not a universal value. It depends on the material and crystal structure of what is being deposited.

Zz.

So w/o telling from author, we can never know it??

yzou_ua said:
So w/o telling from author, we can never know it??

Unless you know the crystal structure. If the author usually doesn't say, then it's a "common" material that he/she would assume that everyone knows already. This is often the case for, say, high-Tc superconductors or well-known compounds such as Al2O3 or TiN.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unless you know the crystal structure. If the author usually doesn't say, then it's a "common" material that he/she would assume that everyone knows already. This is often the case for, say, high-Tc superconductors or well-known compounds such as Al2O3 or TiN.

Zz.

Then, let's say a particular example in a paper - "5nm-height 2.5ML InAs quantum dots", what does it mean?
Should the height of QD be equal to "2*lattice constant of InAs (~6Å)" ? Isn't it ??

2 monolayers will probably be of that order of magnitude, yes. But the exact value will depend on e.g. the termination of the surface etc.
Also, 2.5ML would mean 2 complette layers and one half-filled layer; meaning the top-most layer does not cover the whole surface. Again, what it looks really like will depend on the materials etc.

Btw, the reason the thickness is given in monolayers is because it is much easier to "count" the number of layers (using RHEED oscillations) during the film growth than it is to actually measure the thickness of the film.

f95toli said:
2 monolayers will probably be of that order of magnitude, yes. But the exact value will depend on e.g. the termination of the surface etc.
Also, 2.5ML would mean 2 complette layers and one half-filled layer; meaning the top-most layer does not cover the whole surface. Again, what it looks really like will depend on the materials etc.

Btw, the reason the thickness is given in monolayers is because it is much easier to "count" the number of layers (using RHEED oscillations) during the film growth than it is to actually measure the thickness of the film.

Thx a lot for ur patience & excellent background...
Actually, what i want to do is using my numerical model to simulate the experiment. That's why i need to know the exact length, height, etc.
So, i should use "5 nm" in above example to simulate the QD. Right?

1. What does 1 monolayer mean?

1 monolayer refers to a single layer of molecules or atoms that are arranged in a regular pattern on a surface, such as a solid or liquid. It is often used to describe the thickness or coverage of a material.

2. How long is 1 monolayer?

The length of 1 monolayer can vary depending on the size and shape of the molecules or atoms that make up the layer. It can range from a few nanometers to several micrometers.

3. What does the term "monolayer" refer to?

The term "monolayer" comes from the Latin prefix "mono" meaning one and the word "layer." It is used to describe a single layer of molecules or atoms on a surface.

4. How is 1 monolayer measured?

1 monolayer is typically measured using specialized techniques such as atomic force microscopy or ellipsometry. These methods can accurately determine the thickness and coverage of a monolayer on a surface.

5. Why is 1 monolayer important in scientific research?

1 monolayer is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of materials at the molecular level. It is also used in various fields such as nanotechnology, surface science, and biophysics.