Understanding Exponent Rules: The Confusion of (-8)^(2/6)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with simplifying the exponent -8^(2/6), with one person suggesting to simplify first and another person suggesting to take the sixth root first. The confusion arises when trying to use the property \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab} with negative numbers. It is ultimately agreed that simplifying first is the correct approach.
flame_m13
hello.i have a weird problem.

(-8) ^ (2/6) = ?

my first instinct was to simplify the exponent, which yields (-8) ^ (1/3) = -2.
this is the answer the calculator gives as well.
but someone pointed out if you don't simplify that exponent, you have the sixth root of (-8^2), which would give you positive 2. they mentioned something about the symbolic proof of squares...

i always thought you would simplify first, but maybe I'm wrong?

this is confusing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about

-1 = i^2 = i*i = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1) = sqrt(-1*-1) = sqrt(1) = 1? :)

Hmm I can see the confusion that you see. I think simplifying it is correct in this case though I have tried looking at it in other ways. Well first of all, if you try to take the 6th root, it will obviously be undefined. Similarly, you can't just square because you'll get a "loss of information" which results in 2, which I think is incorrect provided that simplifying first is the correct way.

Now I did try splitting it into (-1)(1/2)(2/3)(8)(2/6). Unfortunately, this leads to more or less worse problems. If I try anything but take the square root of -1 first in the first term of the product, I would get 2 as an answer. Of course taking the square root of -1 first would take this problem into the realm of imaginary numbers. Perhaps someone else could give a better reason for simplifying first.

NoMoreExams said:
How about

-1 = i^2 = i*i = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1) = sqrt(-1*-1) = sqrt(1) = 1? :)

That kind of manipulation is forbidden. You can't just multiply like that. [tex]\sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1} \neq \sqrt{(-1)^2} = \sqrt{1}[/tex]

In fact I think to use the property [tex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}[/tex], at least one of a, b must be positive.

Last edited:

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that represents the number of times a base number is multiplied by itself. It is usually written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

2. What makes an exponent problem confusing?

Exponent problems can become confusing when there are multiple exponents, different bases, or when the exponent itself is a negative or fractional number.

3. How do I simplify an exponent problem?

To simplify an exponent problem, you can use the rules of exponents, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and negative exponent rule. These rules help you to manipulate the exponents and combine like terms to simplify the expression.

4. What is the order of operations when solving an exponent problem?

The order of operations for solving an exponent problem is to first simplify any expressions within parentheses, followed by exponents, multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

5. How can I check if my answer to an exponent problem is correct?

You can check your answer to an exponent problem by using a calculator to evaluate the original expression and your simplified answer. If the results match, then your answer is correct. Additionally, you can also plug in a few values for the variables in the expression and see if the results match your answer.