Understanding Integrating Factors and Differential Operators

In summary, the conversation was about integrating factors and differential operators. The questioner was going to be away at a conference and needed some examples to study. They asked for help with an equation involving integrating factors and differential operators, and the respondent provided a step-by-step explanation, including a small mistake that was corrected later. The final answer was given as yx^-2 = 1/2x^2 + C.
Tom McCurdy
I am going to be gone all day tomorrow at a conference track meet and am unable to ask my teacher how to do integrating factors and differential operators. I leave tomorrow at 9:15 am and was hoping to have some examples to take with me to study.

If someone could help me walk through a these it would be great

integrating factor
[tex] (x^4+2y)dx-xdy=0 [/tex] answer: [tex]2y=x^4+cx^2[/tex]
I got it to
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{2y}{x}=x^3 [/tex]

[tex]e^\int{\frac{-2}{x}}=x^{-2} [/tex] = IF ... but what do you do then...

[tex] x^{-2}\frac{dy}{dx}-x^{-2}\frac{2y}{x}=x [/tex]

[tex] x^{-2}\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{2y}{x^3}=x [/tex]

so then you get yx^-2 but i don't know what to do from here

more to come

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you get finally

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}{(yx^{-2})} = x[/tex]

Integrating both sides with respect to x gives,

[tex]\int d(yx^{-2}) = x^{2} + C[/tex] **

which gives

[tex]yx^{-2} = x^{2} + C[/itex]

Multiply both sides by [itex]x^2[/itex] and you're through.

In step ** you have a total differential under the integral sign which is never a problem to integrate. If you have any more queries, please feel free to ask.

Cheers
Vivek

Thanks for the help... that's really all i needed to know... was that last step

Maybe I'm missing something here but on step ** did you not integrate x incorrectly?

yeah! [tex]\int x dx= \frac{1}{2}x^2+ C[/tex]!
so [tex]yx^{-2}= \frac{1}{2}x^2+ C[/tex].

Hi everyone

Sorry for that mistake...must've forgotten to use my brain then ;-)

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function used to solve differential equations. It is multiplied by both sides of the equation to make it easier to solve, as it helps to "integrate" the equation.

2. How do you find an integrating factor?

To find an integrating factor, you first need to identify the type of differential equation you are dealing with. Then, you can use various techniques such as the method of variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients to find the integrating factor.

3. What is the purpose of using an integrating factor?

The purpose of using an integrating factor is to transform a difficult differential equation into an easier one that can be solved using basic techniques. It helps to simplify the equation and make it more manageable to solve.

4. Can an integrating factor be used for all types of differential equations?

No, integrating factors are mainly used for first-order linear differential equations. However, they can also be used for some second-order and higher-order differential equations, but the process may be more complex.

5. How do you know if an integrating factor is the correct solution for a differential equation?

You can check if the integrating factor is the correct solution by substituting it into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then the integrating factor is the correct solution for the differential equation.