Help with Number 4.16: Solving Moments

• Thread starter kring_c14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the conversation involved asking for help on problem 4.16 and sharing calculations and diagrams. The final answer for problem 4.16 is supposed to be 38.4, but there was an error in the calculation. The expert provided a summary of the content without responding to any questions.
kring_c14
I need some help with number 4.16? well actually I just can't understand the question.. what I did is calculate all the moments with respect to A.. but I don't know if this has some relevance to the problem.. [tex]\sum MA= -2 (18.49) - .8 (4.5) +.8 (5.51)[/tex]
I took the counter clockwise direction as negative... I don't have any idea what the hell I am doing...I really appreciate some help...

lots of thanks!

http://www.imagevimage.com/images/1_CCI11042007_00000.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
heeeelp!

the answer in 4.16 is supposed to 38.4... .

kring_c14 said:
I need some help with number 4.16? well actually I just can't understand the question.. what I did is calculate all the moments with respect to A.. but I don't know if this has some relevance to the problem.. [tex]\sum MA= -2 (18.49) - .8 (4.5) +.8 (5.51)[/tex]
I took the counter clockwise direction as negative... I don't have any idea what the hell I am doing...I really appreciate some help...
Yes, you did pretty well...except on your last term for the positive moment you used 5.51 inches but you should have used the perpendicular distance fron the center of mass of that arm to the pivot, which is half that value.

1. What is a moment in physics?

A moment in physics refers to the turning effect or torque produced by a force acting on an object. It is the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

2. How do you solve for moments?

To solve for moments, you need to first identify the point of rotation and the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use the equation M = Fd to calculate the moment, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

3. What are the units of moments?

The units of moments are Newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system of units. In the imperial system, they are measured in foot-pounds (ft*lb).

4. Can moments be negative?

Yes, moments can be negative. This indicates that the force is causing a clockwise rotation, as opposed to a counterclockwise rotation which would result in a positive moment.

5. How are moments used in real-life applications?

Moments are used in real-life applications for designing structures and machines, calculating the stability of objects, and understanding the forces acting on an object. They are also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture.