Can I get help solving this bottle opener problem using torques?

• Thread starter Soicowboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torques
In summary: In part b, you are trying to find the force F on object 6a, which is the 500N weight hanging from the string. First, you need to find the distance P from the fulcrum (the point where the string is attached to the weight) to the line of action of the weight, or the position where the 500N weight is pulling on the string. Then, you use the Pythagorean theorem to find F = GM / (2P). In summary, in part b of the problem, you need to find the force F on object 6a, which is the 500N weight hanging from the string.
Soicowboy
Homework Statement
Learning from home over quarantine, need help finding online learning material
Relevant Equations
Torque / rotational force?
Hi guys I'm studying at home over lock down would anybody be able to point me in the direction of some online learning material or what concept I should look up to solve this problem and find formulas . I'm stuck and can't find anything relevant online while searching.

20200508_083654.jpg

Thanks guys any help is great I'm not really a physics guy this if for a fabrication course I'd normally get help at a night school

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are you familiar with drawing free body diagrams (FBDs)? If so draw one for this problem (call the right end where the force is applied "C").

And with FBDs, are you familiar with using the sum of torques and sum of forces to figure out any accelerations, etc. for the object represented by the FBD?

I believe that for this problem you will just set the sum of the two torques B-C and B-A to zero to find the force at B...

Does that help?

Thanks a lot I'll look up and learn those concepts and post my working. Appreciate your time thank you

Likes berkeman
Soicowboy said:
Thanks a lot I'll look up and learn those concepts and post my working. Appreciate your time thank you
Great, we look forward to that. Just to clarify a bit, the two torques on the bottle opener (which you will show in your FBD) are the torque from the 50N force applied at "C" about the fulcrum point at "B", and a counter torque from the force between the opener and the bottlecap at "A" about the same fulcrum point "B".

15888880431837028887938304177218.jpg

Soicowboy said:
Both forces act about the same fulcrum. How far is the 50N pull from the fulcrum?

Likes Soicowboy
0.085m

Likes berkeman
Ok thank you I'll rework.

CM = CCM

A x 0.025 = 50N x 0.085
A x 0.025 = 4.25NM

A= 4.25 / 0.025

= 170N?

Likes Chestermiller
Soicowboy said:
CM = CCM

A x 0.025 = 50N x 0.085
A x 0.025 = 4.25NM

A= 4.25 / 0.025

= 170N?
Yes.

Would the same equation and using a FBD and sum of forces be applicable to this problem.

Really appreciate your guys / girls time thank you.

Attachments

• 20200508_120722.jpg
    20200508_120722.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 270
Soicowboy said:
Would the same equation and using a FBD and sum of forces be applicable to this problem.

Really appreciate your guys / girls time thank you.
Sure

Chestermiller said:
Sure

Attachments

• 20200508_125712.jpg
    20200508_125712.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 169

Attachments

• 20200508_130547.jpg
    20200508_130547.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 154
Soicowboy said:
Close, but at one point you turned 0.05 into 0.5.

Likes Soicowboy
haruspex said:
Close, but at one point you turned 0.05 into 0.5.
70 / 0.05
= 1400N ?

For part b of the problem. Would you divide the first anwser to find out how much more force is required to generate another 100N.

Thank you so much!

Soicowboy said:
= 1400N ?
Yes. It's always a good idea to do a sanity check. Would you expect the force to be more or less than the applied 200N?
Soicowboy said:
For part b of the problem
Part b? Of which problem?

Likes Soicowboy
haruspex said:
Yes. It's always a good idea to do a sanity check. Would you expect the force to be more or less than the applied 200N?

I think I solved it ?

Attachments

• 20200508_150808.jpg
    20200508_150808.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 174
haruspex said:

Haha yup that makes total sense, wasn't being logical and focusing properly.

Soicowboy said:
I think I solved it ?
Your FBD for 6a was wrong.
You need the perpendicular distance from the force to the fulcrum. For P, that means the distance from the fulcrum point to the infinite straight line which is the line of action of P. The exact point where P is applied is not relevant.

Edit: besides, the 300mm and the 50mm are not in the same direction, so it makes no sense to add them.

Likes Soicowboy
haruspex said:
Your FBD for 6a was wrong.
You need the perpendicular distance from the force to the fulcrum. For P, that means the distance from the fulcrum point to the infinite straight line which is the line of action of P. The exact point where P is applied is not relevant.

Edit: besides, the 300mm and the 50mm are not in the same direction, so it makes no sense to add them.
So you wouldn't include the 50mm on the line and just work off 300mm?

Soicowboy said:
So you wouldn't include the 50mm on the line and just work off 300mm?
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.

Attachments

• 15900144419985702922549029207744.jpg
    15900144419985702922549029207744.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 140
6a is right now, but I do not understand your working in part b.
What is the 250?
How did you get the last line?
The trouble with just posting numbers is that it gives me no insight into what you are doing. Please explain your steps.

1. What is a torque and how does it relate to bottle openers?

A torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of a bottle opener, the torque is the force applied to the handle that causes the cap to rotate and open.

2. What factors affect the torque needed to open a bottle?

The main factors that affect the torque needed to open a bottle are the size and shape of the bottle cap, the material and design of the bottle opener, and the strength and technique of the person using the bottle opener.

3. How can I calculate the torque needed to open a bottle with a specific bottle opener?

To calculate the torque needed, you will need to know the force applied to the handle of the bottle opener and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. You can then use the formula T = F x d to calculate the torque.

4. Are there any tips for using torques to open bottles more easily?

One tip is to use a longer bottle opener, as this will increase the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, resulting in a greater torque. Additionally, using a bottle opener with a better grip or leverage can also make it easier to apply a greater force and therefore a greater torque.

5. Can I use torques to open any type of bottle?

In theory, yes, you can use torques to open any type of bottle. However, the amount of torque needed may vary depending on the factors mentioned in question 2. Some bottles may also have unique designs or caps that require a specific type of bottle opener to open effectively.