Need someone to verify my logic

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, the sets have a maximum and minimum but the supremum and infimum of (a) is 1 while the supremum and infimum of (b) is 0.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

Find the supremum and infimum of the following sets and test whether these sets have a maximum or minimum:

(a) { |x|/(1+|x|) s.t. x is in R}

(b) { x/ (1+x) s.t. x > -1}

Homework Equations

Order Axioms and Field Axioms for the real numbers; infimum and supremum definitions; min and max definitions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't see why these aren't effectively the same in terms of their supremums and infimums, min and max. Since |x|> 0 for nonzero x, |x| will always be positive, so this ratio will always be positive. Furthermore, it follows immediately that |x| < 1 + |x| for the same reason. Since the denominator is always bigger, the ratio is always less than 1. So I would argue that the supremum of (a) is 1. Now since we can include any x in R, the set also contains 0, and none of these can ever be less than 0. So 0 should be the infimum and serve as the minimum element of the set (since it is contained in the set).

Now I can see how (b) would differ for all x in R, but we are now restricting x > -1, i.e.,
x = 0, ... So it would seem that we have the exact same set - no negative x, the ratio is always less than 1, etc. So wouldn't this be exactly the same? What am I missing, if not?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think the are very obviously NOT the same. If x= -1.00001, what is x/(x+ 1)?

oh yeah, I guess there are a bunch of negative reals between -1 and 0... wow that should have been obvious. I knew I was missing something simple. It always seems to be the case for me in analysis... :grumpy:

since we could go "closer and closer" each time to -1, does that mean that this set doesn't have a lower bound? I mean, if you put in something like -0.99, then we get -0.99/(1-0.99) = -99, but then we could try x= -0.9999 and get something even smaller, and then we could keep going forever.
I'm sorry if it's trivial.. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff.

Last edited:

1. How do I know if my logic is correct?

To verify your logic, you can follow the steps of the scientific method. This includes making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

2. Can someone else verify my logic for me?

Yes, you can ask a fellow scientist or a peer to review your logic and provide feedback. This can help identify any flaws or errors in your reasoning and improve the overall validity of your work.

3. What if my logic contradicts established scientific theories?

If your logic contradicts established scientific theories, it is important to thoroughly examine your reasoning and evidence. You may need to conduct further experiments or seek feedback from other experts in the field to support your claims.

4. How can I improve my logical reasoning skills?

Improving logical reasoning skills takes practice and critical thinking. You can start by evaluating your own thinking processes and identifying any biases or assumptions that may affect your logic. It is also helpful to read and analyze scientific literature to understand how other scientists approach and present their logic.

5. Is it necessary to have someone verify my logic?

While it is not mandatory to have someone verify your logic, it can be beneficial to have another perspective and feedback on your work. This can help strengthen your arguments and improve the overall credibility of your research.