Flash Drive Memory Specifics-For Legal Reasons

In summary, the conversation is about finding out the exact time a file was saved on a flash drive for legal purposes. The discussants mention accessing the "Date Created" and "Date Modified" information, but note that these dates can be easily faked. They also consider the possibility of hidden functions on flash drives, such as recording the MAC address of the computer or the order in which files were added. However, this is complicated by the wear leveling feature of flash drives and the inability to erase individual cells. They suggest seeking the help of a computer forensics expert for further research and expert testimony.
unglax
I am involved in a legal case and I need to know some things about flash drives.

1. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out for sure exactly when a file was saved onto a flash drive? I know that you can acess the "Date Created" and "Date Modified" information through by right clicking and then clicking "Properties", however, these dates can be easily faked just by changing the computers clock time.

2. I would also like to know if there is some hidden function on flash drives that records the MAC address of the computers it was plugged into or records the order in which files were added, because then it would be possible to show that a certain file with a faked "Date Created" date, was actually added between two other files with non-faked "Date Created" dates which prove, or at least suggest, that it was added within a different time period.

3. Another possible route might be to show the order in which files were added by looking at the actual location of the data on the drives so it would also be helpful to know if flash drives fragment the data, or have it in continuous strips.

Btw: I am not going to use these responses for legal purposes or anything, I am just looking at possible avenues of further research, or expert testimony.

Engineering news on Phys.org
unglax said:
1. Does anyone know if it is possible to find out for sure exactly when a file was saved onto a flash drive? I know that you can acess the "Date Created" and "Date Modified" information through by right clicking and then clicking "Properties", however, these dates can be easily faked just by changing the computers clock time.
How else would the flash drive know -it doesn't have it's own clock.

2. I would also like to know if there is some hidden function on flash drives that records the MAC address of the computers it was plugged into or records the order in which files were added, because then it would be possible to show that a certain file with a faked "Date Created" date, was actually added between two other files with non-faked "Date Created" dates which prove, or at least suggest, that it was added within a different time period.
There isn't a recording of the MAC address - this only applies to network cards. The NTFS file system does have some extra security parameters to do some of the things you want - but it is almost never used on a flash drive.

3. Another possible route might be to show the order in which files were added by looking at the actual location of the data on the drives so it would also be helpful to know if flash drives fragment the data, or have it in continuous strips.
Tricky - the problem is that flash drives have what's called wear leveling.
Each memory location in a flash drive can only be written to a certain number (50,000 - 1M) of times before it is damaged. Because memory at the front of the device would be used more often than the end - there is extra circuitry that randomizes the parts of the key used so the whole device wears out at the same rate.
To further complicate matters you cannot erase an individual cell in a flash memory - you must erase an entire page and write in entire blocks, so when a file is added it might erase the end of an existing file, write the new file and then write the end of the exiting file somewhere else.

ps. This is also different for NAND flash (typically used in USB keys/digital camera memory cards) and NOR flash (used for storing settings inside ucontrollers)

You can fairly easily dump the entire contents of a USB flash drive as just numbers and search through for earlier versions of a file but even with the help of the maker of that particular chip you would probably have a job proving the sequence of events.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Sounds like you need to find an expert in computer forensics in your area. The Yellow Pages probably has listings of them...
Finding one who is more expert than a kid with a copy of Norton Undelete might be harder,
also check if in your jurisdiction the computer forensic person also needs to be a licensed PI.

1. What is the storage capacity of a flash drive?

The storage capacity of a flash drive can vary greatly depending on the specific brand and model. Some flash drives may have a storage capacity as low as 8GB, while others can hold up to 1TB or more.

2. How long does flash drive memory last?

The lifespan of flash drive memory can vary depending on usage and storage conditions. On average, flash drive memory can last anywhere from 10 to 20 years.

3. Can I password protect my flash drive?

Many flash drives come with built-in password protection software, but it is always best to check the product specifications before purchasing to ensure this feature is included.

4. What is the read and write speed of a flash drive?

The read and write speeds of a flash drive can vary depending on the specific model. The read speed refers to how quickly data can be transferred from the flash drive to a computer, while the write speed refers to how quickly data can be saved onto the flash drive.

5. Can I use a flash drive on multiple devices?

Yes, flash drives are designed to be compatible with multiple devices, including computers, laptops, and even some smartphones and tablets. However, it is always best to check the product specifications to ensure compatibility with specific devices.