Most impotant skill in enginering?

• Thread starter stjimmy
  • Start date
In summary, the most important skill for an engineer is having a practical head and strong Math/Science reasoning abilities. Basic common sense may fall under critical thinking, but it is not the most crucial skill. Creativity is also important, but not as important as having a strong foundation in math and science. Additionally, mechanical facility and dexterity, as well as creativity, are valuable skills for an engineer. Finally, the ability to solve unexpected problems is a key aspect of being an engineer.

Most imporant engineering skill!

• Reading/Writing/Critical Thinking

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Math/Science Resoning

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Mechincal facilty/dexeteity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Creativty

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
stjimmy
What do you think is the most imporant skill an engineer will need?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Went for Math/Science Reasoning, I think having a "practical head" goes far in engineering.

Which one does basic common sense fall under?

FredGarvin said:
Which one does basic common sense fall under?

I went with Math/Science Reasoning, emphasis on reasoning. I guess common sense might go with critical thinking, but since that was lumped in with reading and writing, I don't see those as the most important engineering skills (I've known good engineers who couldn't spell their way out of a paper bag, so figure writing isn't all that important). Creativity is important, but useless without the math/science reasoning. Being good with your hands doesn't make you an engineer, it makes you a mechanic. Of course, if you combine all four of those skills, you have someone quite exceptional (if you find one of them, and they happen to be male, let me know...that's my dream guy!) (Sorry tribdog, if I find someone with all four of those qualities, well, sorry.)

All good skills, and having them all would make you in high demand - and not just by Moonbear. In the real world, it is not enough to have great ideas and the know how to apply the science behind the engineering, you must sell the concept to management. For that reason, I subscribe to critical thinking supported by communication skills.

I too picked math/science reasoning. Actually, I know some good engineers that just have a strong intuitive feel for things (not saying they lack the ability to reason scientifically), and this can often substitute for scientific reasoning.

I went with the Math/Science reasoning, but I think that is not the best answer. I have worked with wayyyyyy too many engineers and physicists that were/are incredibly intelligent and very science savy. However, the ability to judge what is theoretically possible vs. what is actually do-able tends to elude them. Engineers have to be thinking ahead of the game, that's for sure, but the financial and time constraints imposed on them play just as an important (if not more so) role.

I haven't voted anything, because all of such skills are needed:

Reading/Writing/Critical Thinking: Of course. Probably you'll have to read a lot of manuals, user's guides and references when working at some project, and a lot of books of different topics when you're studying. Also, you have to have a critical thinking in order to discriminate which information is important and valuable for your purposes and which not.

Math/Science Resoning: that's probably the key. Math and Science reasoning is closely united to critical and logical thinking. Doing calculations in a very short time and under pressure will be your way of life when taking exams and working at some project. The speed of the processor of your brain is a vital variable in an engineer.

Mechincal facilty/dexeteity: Sure. Spatial imagination skills are necessary in order to understand mechanical processes.

Creativity: Well. I assure to you that when you're studying engineer or working as an engineer, you will use your creativity several times in order to answer or solve unexpected problems.

Maybe the key words for an engineer / engineering student are "solving unexpected problems".

Clausius, for the 1000th time : you ain't no engineer, you a theoretical physicist... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How are you ? It's been a while

regards
marlon

marlon said:
Clausius, for the 1000th time : you ain't no engineer, you a theoretical physicist... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How are you ? It's been a while

regards
marlon

Hi friend,

Just now I don't know what am I. I am now under snow due to the first semester exams. I roughly have time to go for a walk over here.

BTW: what is a mooberrymarz?

Clausius2 said:
BTW: what is a mooberrymarz?

Good luck on your examinations...

mooberrymarz is the most beautiful girl on this forum. Check out the member photo thread for here picture. She lives in South Africa but hasn"t posted here in a long time so i am starting to give up :cry:

marlon

And what is the opinion of your girlfriend about her? :rofl:

Clausius2 said:
And what is the opinion of your girlfriend about her? :rofl:

errr no comment :redface:

marlon

1. What is the most important skill in engineering?

The most important skill in engineering is problem-solving. Engineers are tasked with finding creative solutions to complex problems, and being able to think critically and analytically is essential for success in this field.

2. Is technical knowledge or soft skills more important in engineering?

Both technical knowledge and soft skills are important in engineering. While technical knowledge is necessary for understanding and applying engineering principles, soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and time management are crucial for working effectively in a team and meeting project deadlines.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in engineering?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in engineering is to practice regularly. This can involve working on challenging engineering problems, participating in design competitions, or taking on internships or co-op positions. Additionally, seeking feedback from experienced engineers and continuously learning new technical skills can also enhance problem-solving abilities.

4. Do engineers need to have strong math and science backgrounds?

Yes, a strong foundation in math and science is necessary for success in engineering. Engineers use mathematical and scientific principles to analyze and solve problems, so a solid understanding of these subjects is essential.

5. Can problem-solving skills be learned or are they innate?

While some people may have a natural aptitude for problem-solving, these skills can also be learned and developed. With practice, exposure to diverse problems, and an open-minded attitude, anyone can improve their problem-solving abilities in engineering.