What is the Radius of Convergence for the Power Series Given?

In summary, the radius of convergence for the given series is infinite. The proof for this uses the criterion of d'Alembert, which states that the series converges if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1. This can be applied to the given series by first simplifying the expression and then taking the limit as n approaches infinity. The result is an infinite radius of convergence, meaning that the series converges for all values of x.
alejandrito29
at the serie [tex] \sum_0^{\infty} a_n (x - c)^n [/tex], the radius of convergency is:

[tex]R= \lim_{n \to \infty } |\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}|[/tex]

My problem is : Find the radius of convergency when:
[tex] \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!} \cdot x^{2n+1} [/tex]

i don't understand mainly who is [tex]a_n[/tex] .

The answer is [tex]R \to \infty[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi alejandrito29, :smile:

The problem here is of course that you will divide by zero, and this is not allowed. Thus the formula is not immediately applicable.

Now, how did you prove

[tex]R= \lim_{n \to \infty } |\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}|[/tex]??

Can you adjust the prove such that it also applies to your series now? Essentialy, the proof uses a criterion for series that can be applied to this one (I used to call it the criterion of d'Alembert).

micromass said:
Hi alejandrito29, :smile:

The problem here is of course that you will divide by zero, and this is not allowed. Thus the formula is not immediately applicable.

Now, how did you prove

[tex]R= \lim_{n \to \infty } |\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}|[/tex]??

Can you adjust the prove such that it also applies to your series now? Essentialy, the proof uses a criterion for series that can be applied to this one (I used to call it the criterion of d'Alembert).

D'Lambert is:

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{c_{n+1}}{c_n}|<1 [/tex]

i know that
[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \cdot \frac{x^{2n+3}}{x^{2n+1}}|<1 [/tex]

then

[tex]|x^2|<\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}| [/tex]

[tex]-\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}|<x^2<\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}|[/tex]

but [tex]x^2>0[/tex]...I don't understand

i don't see that [tex]\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}|[/tex] is a radius

Last edited:
alejandrito29 said:
D'Lambert is:

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{c_{n+1}}{c_n}|<1 [/tex]

i know that
[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \cdot \frac{x^{2n+3}}{x^{2n+1}}|<1 [/tex]

then

[tex]|x^2|<\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}| [/tex]

Indeed, so the series converges if and only if

[tex]|x|<\sqrt{\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}|}[/tex]

So the convergence radius is [tex]\sqrt{\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}|}[/tex]

micromass said:
Indeed, so the series converges if and only if

[tex]|x|<\sqrt{\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}|}[/tex]

So the convergence radius is [tex]\sqrt{\lim _{n \to \infty}|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}}|}[/tex]

very thanks you

Here is your answer
[tex]R= \lim_{n \to \infty } \left |\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} \right |=\lim_{n \to \infty } \left|\frac{\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}}{\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(2n+3)!}}\right |=\lim_{n \to \infty } \left |\frac{(-1)^n(2n+3)!}{(-1)^{n+1}(2n+1)!}\right |=\lim_{n \to \infty } \left |\frac{(2n+3)(2n+2)}{(-1)}\right |=\lim_{n \to \infty }(2n+3)(2n+2)=\infty
[/tex]

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function that involves an infinite sum of powers of a variable, typically written in the form of ∑anx^n. It is used to approximate functions and can be manipulated using calculus tools such as differentiation and integration.

2. How do you find the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series diverges. It can be found by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series.

3. Can a power series be used to represent any function?

No, not all functions can be represented by a power series. The function must be analytical, meaning it can be represented by a convergent power series. Functions with discontinuities or singularities cannot be represented by a power series.

4. How can power series be used to approximate functions?

Power series can be used to approximate functions by taking a finite number of terms in the series. The more terms that are included, the more accurate the approximation will be. This is useful for calculating values of functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

5. Are there any applications of power series in real life?

Yes, power series have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model natural phenomena, solve differential equations, and make predictions about complex systems. Examples include modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing electrical circuits, and predicting stock market trends.