Drawing a Y vs Time Graph in a projectile motion problem

In summary, an online homework assignment requires you to find the y-coordinates for a specific time interval using an equation that takes into account the speed, gravity, and the slope of the roof.
Arejang
[SOLVED] Drawing a Y vs Time Graph in a projectile motion problem

Homework Statement

A snowball rolls off a barn roof that slopes downward at an angle of 40 degrees. The edge of the roof is 14.0m above the ground, and the snowball has a speed of 7.00 m/s as it rolls off the roof. Ignore air resistance.

Draw y-t graphs for the motion in part A.

Homework Equations

y=(Vo*sin(alpha))*t-1/2*g*t^2

(In this problem alpha is 40)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried inserting various time intervals (i.e. .1 sec; .2 sec; .3 sec; etc) to the equation above (I assumed that y= the distance fallen from 14m at the specific time t). So the resultant y I calculated, I subtracted from 14m to get the resultant y coordinate at time t. This being an online assignment, requires exact (y,t) coordinates starting from 0 seconds-1.3 seconds having 0.1 second increments in between. The y coordinates are also specific to 0.1 m increments ranging from 0.0 meters to 14.0 meters. Any possible help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. Please tell me if I'm doing the right thing and using the correct formula. Or if I have to try a different approach or the formula is incorrectly used.

y = y0 + v0y*t - (1/2)*g*t^2

If you consider your referential center at the floor: y0 = 14, the graph is going to decrease from y = 14 to y = 0.
If you consider your referential center at the edge of the roof: y0 = 0, the graph is going to decrease from y = 0 to y = -14.
You only need to iterate through t, and find y:)

yes, and since y is affected by gravity. the graph from y=14 should travel down in a quadratic fashion. So it should look like part of a parabola that opens downward. My only problem is finding specific Y points to plot in the graph.

If I plug in numbers for t in the equation you used, I should be able to get the correct coords for each y component right? I did this and still the answer wasn't recognized as correct.

Humm did you notice that v0y is negative in this case right?

Yes, I used 14-7*sin40*t-1/2*9.8*t^2.

This still was not the desired answer.

Last edited:
This is the resultant graph I had from doing the calculations using the above mentioned formula using a negative velocity. Since we are dealing with trig functions, I made sure that the calculations were done in degrees. It does give a function that somewhat resembles a parabola but it's still not the desired answer. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it! :)

Attachments

• Graph.JPG
    Graph.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 2,103
Bump! Please can anyone help? If you think this should be the correct answer, tell me that it is so i can at least report that the answer wasn't correctly input for the question.

hmmm the formula is right, but are you sure that sin function receives the input in degrees?
Because i used the a sin function that receives the value of the angle in radians and gave it a input in degrees and the graph result is almost the same.
At t=1,2s gives me 1,544584079m.

Last edited:
yeah, it turns out that the online program was bugged and wouldn't accept any answer whatsoever. ha ha. But so long as the equation was right, that's all I care for. The points for the homework aren't as important to me as knowing the actual mechanic of the problem itself. So thanks!

1. How do I plot a Y vs Time graph in a projectile motion problem?

To plot a Y vs Time graph in a projectile motion problem, you will need to gather data or equations for the vertical position of the object at different points in time. Then, plot the points on a graph and connect them with a smooth curve to represent the trajectory of the projectile.

2. What is the purpose of drawing a Y vs Time graph in a projectile motion problem?

Drawing a Y vs Time graph allows you to visualize the vertical motion of a projectile over time. It can help you analyze the trajectory, maximum height, and other important parameters of the projectile's motion.

3. How do I determine the initial velocity from a Y vs Time graph in a projectile motion problem?

To determine the initial velocity from a Y vs Time graph, you can use the slope of the graph at the beginning of the motion. The slope represents the velocity, and the initial velocity will be the value of the slope at the starting point.

4. Can I use a Y vs Time graph to calculate the maximum height of a projectile in a projectile motion problem?

Yes, you can use a Y vs Time graph to calculate the maximum height of a projectile. The highest point on the graph will represent the maximum height of the projectile.

5. How do I interpret the slope of a Y vs Time graph in a projectile motion problem?

The slope of a Y vs Time graph in a projectile motion problem represents the velocity of the projectile at a given time. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity.