The way people think, ever find it fascinating?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary, a woman who has one night stands is usually regretful the next morning. She may have conflicting emotions due to cognitive dissonance.
KingNothing
One thing that always fascinates me is when people aren't able to understand their own beliefs and motivations about something.

One example is when I was talking with my new girlfriend about religion and I asked her what she believes. She replied that she is 'spiritual but not religious'. However, more questioning revealed that she didn't have any sort of definition for what 'being spiritual' meant for her, and that she didn't believe in anything commonly associated with spirituality. More or less, it was a way for her to escape the criticisms of religious and atheist would-be attackers at the same time.

I also recall a conversation I had with a girl I know who had sex with a man, and afterward said that she was just 'caught up in the moment', and 'he basically tricker her into it'. What I find interesting is that she is a very intelligent person, and incredibly witty and it's extremely unlikely that she could be truly tricked into anything. And this is the second time this month she's been 'tricked' by different men.

It never ceases to amaze me how the human brain can basically 'hide' subconscious motivations and thoughts from us. Do any of you ever sit back and appreciate this fact? Also, could you please share similar stories of "normal" psychology that is, at least in the logical sense, not normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a difficult question.
One does NOT have to fully UNDERSTAND the belief in order to emotionally ascribe to it.
Emotions are much more powerful than understandings.
This, obviously, can create problems.

KingNothing said:
I also recall a conversation I had with a girl I know who had sex with a man, and afterward said that she was just 'caught up in the moment', and 'he basically tricker her into it'. What I find interesting is that she is a very intelligent person, and incredibly witty and it's extremely unlikely that she could be truly tricked into anything. And this is the second time this month she's been 'tricked' by different men.

well... you know how it is. it's a lady's prerogative to change her mind. because admitting she's a girl that just likes to have sex isn't sociably acceptable in her peer group. and maybe she can't admit this to herself either, not just you.

guys aren't allowed to change their mind.

Proton Soup said:

what do you mean by this?...are we bound by some sort of law that we must follow it?...

Proton Soup said:
well... you know how it is. it's a lady's prerogative to change her mind. because admitting she's a girl that just likes to have sex isn't sociably acceptable in her peer group. and maybe she can't admit this to herself either, not just you.

Ok, it goes like this. When a women get a one night stand which proves to be very lousy or with a short short man (let's face it 75% of both man and women have no idea how to make love), more often than not she will be damn sorry she did it. To put it plainly, it did not worth it.This may lead to some interesting attitudes later due to cognitive dissonance.

When it's great sex, she will go singing and smiling the next morning to the work.

KingNothing said:
One example is when I was talking with my new girlfriend about religion and I asked her what she believes. She replied that she is 'spiritual but not religious'. However, more questioning revealed that she didn't have any sort of definition for what 'being spiritual' meant for her, and that she didn't believe in anything commonly associated with spirituality. More or less, it was a way for her to escape the criticisms of religious and atheist would-be attackers at the same time.

?
You simply cannot draw such a conclusion based on what you wrote here.

even if you think you understand your beliefs you can't know till you test them. you can pose the question "what would i do if...?" but until it happens its just speculation. i was raised to believe homosexuality was wrong, i personally feel it is but this doesn't even come up when i hang out with an old friend from school who is gay. we were friends before and him being gay doesn't offend me at all. this doesn't change my beliefs. in the case of the girl being spiritual she probably was raised in religion and found no practical use for it in real life, but doesn't want to give it up. its like being an american living in Canada.

Darken-Sol said:
its like being an american living in Canada.

Polartec Thermal-pro midsummer ? :wink:

Proton Soup said:

vjdarktm said:
what do you mean by this?...are we bound by some sort of law that we must follow it?...

Wait ... guys changing their mind about wanting to have sex...

Citation please. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:

No means no ! A campaign led by men for men.

Hello, January. Was hoping I'd never see you again.

KingNothing said:
Hello, January. Was hoping I'd never see you again.

what about december?

DaveC426913 said:

I would wager that every guy with a rape accusation did.

vjdarktm said:

not a written law, but our social standards hold men more accountable for their decisions than women.

DaveC426913 said:

:shy:

J Soc Psychol. 2011 Jan-Feb;151(1):105-12.
Beer goggles: blood alcohol concentration in relation to attractiveness ratings for unfamiliar opposite sex faces in naturalistic settings.
Lyvers M, Cholakians E, Puorro M, Sundram S.
Source

Bond University, Department of Psychology, University Drive, Robina, Gold Coast 4229, Australia. mlyvers@bond.edu.au
Abstract

The popular notion that alcohol intoxication enhances perceptions of the physical attractiveness of the opposite sex has been inconsistently supported. The current study tested intoxicated and non-intoxicated persons of both genders in naturalistic settings after measuring their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) by a breath test. A sample of 80 heterosexual university student social drinkers was recruited at a campus pub and campus parties over a 3-month period to take a survey rating the attractiveness of unfamiliar faces of the opposite gender presented in photographs. Attractiveness ratings were positively correlated with BAC. Analysis of covariance (ANCOVA) was conducted on attractiveness ratings with independent variables of gender and BAC group, with three levels of the latter: non-intoxicated (BAC = 0), moderately intoxicated (BAC .01% - .09%), and highly intoxicated (BAC .10% - .19%). Both intoxicated groups gave significantly higher attractiveness ratings than non-intoxicated controls. The findings confirm the "beer goggles" phenomenon of folk psychology for both genders, although the mechanism remains unclear.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1. What influences the way people think?

The way people think is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetic predispositions, past experiences, cultural background, education, and social interactions. These factors shape our beliefs, attitudes, and thought patterns.

2. Can people change the way they think?

Yes, people have the ability to change the way they think. Our brains are constantly adapting and forming new connections, allowing us to learn and evolve our thought processes. With self-awareness and effort, people can consciously challenge and change their thinking patterns.

3. Why do people have different ways of thinking?

People have different ways of thinking because each individual has a unique combination of experiences, beliefs, and perspectives. Our brains also have different levels of cognitive abilities, which can influence our thinking styles.

4. How does the way people think affect their behavior?

The way people think can significantly impact their behavior. Our thoughts influence our emotions, which in turn can influence our actions and decision-making. For example, someone with a negative thinking pattern may be more likely to exhibit negative behaviors, while someone with a more positive thinking pattern may be more inclined towards positive behaviors.

5. Is there a "right" way to think?

No, there is no one "right" way to think. Everyone has their own unique way of processing information and making sense of the world. What is important is to have a balanced and rational thinking style, where we can critically analyze and evaluate information, while also being open to new perspectives and ideas.