Propagators for time-dependent Hamiltonians

• Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propagators
In summary, when using the ansatz \psi(t,\vec{x})=\exp(-\mathrm{i} E t) \phi_{E,\alpha}(\vec{x}), we only get energy-eigensolutions for a time-independent Hamiltonian. For time-dependent Hamiltonians, the general solution involves a superposition of energy eigensolutions and the propagator is given by the time-evolution operator \hat{C}(t,t_0).
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose I know

[tex]
H \psi(x) = \left( -\frac{1}{2m} \Delta_x + V(x) \right) \psi(x) = E\psi(x).
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
\psi(x,t) = e^{-iEt}\psi(x)
[/tex]

solves the time-dependent Schrodinger equation

[tex]
\left( i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{2m} \Delta_x - V(x) \right)\psi(x,t) = 0.
[/tex]

I've done some computations, and it looks like

[tex]
\Psi(x,t) = e^{-imvx}e^{-imv^2t/2}\psi(x+vt)
[/tex]

is a solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation

[tex]
\left( i \frac{\partial}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{2m} \Delta_x - V(x+vt) \right)\Psi = 0.
[/tex]

I have a couple of questions about this:
  1. What is going on here physically? That is, what are those two phase factors telling me?
  2. What does this mean the propagator is? When [itex]H[/itex] is time-independent, [itex]U(t) = e^{-iEt}[/itex]...but what is it in the time-dependent case? Is there a neat little formulation of it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With the ansatz
[tex]\psi(t,\vec{x})=\exp(-\mathrm{i} E t) \phi_{E,\alpha}(\vec{x}),[/tex]
you only get the energy-eigensolutions (stationary states) for a time-independent Hamiltonian,
[tex]\hat{H} \phi_{E,\alpha}(\vec{x})=E \phi_{E,\alpha}(\vec{x}).[/tex]
Here [itex]\alpha[/itex] stands for all necessary additional observables, compatible with energy, to label the possible degeneracy of the energy eigenstates.

The most general solution of the time-dependent Schrödinger equation is then given as a superposition of energy eigensolutions
[tex]\psi(t,\vec{x})=\sum_{E,\alpha} \exp(-\mathrm{i} E t) \phi_{E,\alpha}(\vec{x}).[/tex]

This is all for time-independent Hamiltonians. For time-dependent Hamiltonians, the problem is a bit more complicated. Here you get a formal solution by using the time-evolution operator for the state in the Schrödinger picture,
[tex]\hat{C}(t,t_0)=\mathcal{T}_c \exp[-\mathrm{i} \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t' \hat{H}(t)],[/tex]
where [itex]\mathcal{T}_c[/itex] is the time-ordering operator that orders products of time-dependent operators such that the time arguments are ordered from right to left.

The exponential must be formaly expanded in terms of a power series to make sense of this time-ordering symbol. The nth-order contribution is
[tex]\hat{C}_n(t,t_0)=\frac{(-\mathrm{i})^n}{n!} \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_1 \cdots \int_{t_0}^t \mathrm{d} t_n \mathcal{T}_c \hat{H}(t_1) \cdots \hat{H}(t_n).[/tex]
Then
[tex]\hat{C}(t,t_0)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \hat{C}_n(t,t_0).[/tex]

The propagator of the Schrödinger equation is then given by
[tex]U(t,\vec{x};t_0,\vec{x}')=\langle \vec{x}|\hat{C}(t,t_0)|\vec{x}' \rangle,[/tex]
and the solution of the time-dependent Schrödinger equation reads
[tex]\psi(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x'} U(t,\vec{x};t_0,\vec{x}') \psi(t_0,\vec{x}').[/tex]

1. What is a propagator for time-dependent Hamiltonians?

A propagator for time-dependent Hamiltonians is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a function that maps the state of a system at one time to its state at a later time, taking into account the time-dependent changes in the system's Hamiltonian.

2. How is a propagator for time-dependent Hamiltonians calculated?

The propagator for time-dependent Hamiltonians is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. This involves integrating the Hamiltonian over time and applying it to the initial state of the system.

3. What is the significance of propagators for time-dependent Hamiltonians?

The propagator for time-dependent Hamiltonians is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, allowing us to predict the future state of a quantum system based on its initial state and the time-dependent changes in its Hamiltonian. It is used in various applications, such as quantum computing and studying the behavior of complex quantum systems.

4. Can propagators for time-dependent Hamiltonians be generalized to other systems?

Yes, propagators for time-dependent Hamiltonians can be generalized to other systems, such as systems with multiple particles or systems with continuous variables. The basic principles and calculations remain the same, but the specific equations and techniques may vary depending on the system.

5. What are the limitations of propagators for time-dependent Hamiltonians?

Propagators for time-dependent Hamiltonians are limited in their applicability to systems that can be described by the Schrödinger equation. They also assume that the Hamiltonian is known and does not change over time, which may not always be the case in complex systems. Additionally, the calculations for propagators can become computationally intensive for large systems.