Understanding Kitchen Chemistry: Exploring Instant Pudding & Shampoo Chemistry

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, McGee's book is a great read for understanding the chemistry of everyday items, and the Merck Index is a great resource for finding out more about specific ingredients.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I imagine this is a common question, but is there any useful material out there for understanding, for example, the chemistry of instant pudding? Or what all those chemicals in shampoo do?

I have McGee's book "On Food and Cooking", which is highly interesting, but I'd appreciate a little more quantitation.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
McGee's book is a great read. I don't know where to find books on the chemistry of everyday items but I'm sure there must be some out there. I've read many of the ingredient lists on products and look up the ones I don't know about. A good reference book is McCutcheon's book entitled 'Functional Materials' which is an annual reference guide to these chemicals. The table of contents (or Index of Functions as McCutcheon's refers to it) has entries starting at Absorbents/Adsorbents, Algicides/Antimicrobials/Bactericides/Disinfectants/Fungicides, Anticaking Agents,... to Suspending Agents, Thickeners, UV Absorbers/UV Light Stabilizers, Water Repellents, Waxes & Polishes. The guide is arranged by Company, Function, and Alphabetically.

McCutcheon's also publishes an annual reference called, "Emulsifiers & Detergents".

Last edited:
I discovered (re-discovered?) the Merck Index- whoa. This is pretty much what I was looking for: now I know what sodium lauryl sulfate does, for example. And why carageenan is used in pudding. I'm working through the list on baby formula: would you like some cyanocobalamin with your calcium pantothanate, anyone?

Andy Resnick said:
I discovered (re-discovered?) the Merck Index- whoa. This is pretty much what I was looking for: now I know what sodium lauryl sulfate does, for example. And why carageenan is used in pudding. I'm working through the list on baby formula: would you like some cyanocobalamin with your calcium pantothanate, anyone?

Mmmmm, yummy! B12 and calcium-fortified goop in jars! Where's my spoon?

Take a look at the homeopathic pain reliever 'Head On.' It has a very interesting--and very short--list of ingredients.

1. What is kitchen chemistry?

Kitchen chemistry is the study of the chemical reactions that occur during food preparation and other household activities, such as cleaning and personal grooming. It involves understanding the chemical properties of ingredients and how they interact with each other to create new substances.

2. How is instant pudding made?

Instant pudding is made by combining dry pudding mix with milk. The pudding mix contains a blend of ingredients such as sugar, modified food starch, and flavorings. When mixed with liquid, these ingredients undergo a chemical reaction to create a thick, creamy pudding.

3. What makes shampoo effective at cleaning hair?

Shampoo contains surfactants, which are compounds that have both hydrophobic (water-repelling) and hydrophilic (water-attracting) properties. These surfactants bind to dirt, oil, and other impurities on the hair, allowing them to be washed away with water.

4. How do different ingredients in shampoo affect its performance?

The different ingredients in shampoo, such as surfactants, conditioners, and fragrance, all play a role in its performance. Surfactants are responsible for cleaning, while conditioners help to soften and detangle hair. Fragrance adds a pleasant scent to the shampoo.

5. Can kitchen chemistry be used to make DIY cleaning and beauty products?

Yes, many household cleaning and beauty products can be made using ingredients found in the kitchen. For example, a mixture of baking soda and vinegar can be used as a natural cleaner, and honey and olive oil can be combined to make a moisturizing face mask. However, it is important to research and follow proper safety precautions when making and using these products.