Variable Voltage, Two inductor, One capacitor Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving demonstrating the solutions for I0(t) and I1(t) in a circuit. The student attempts to write differential equations and solve them, but makes some mistakes. Eventually, with the help of another person, they correct their equations and find the solution for I0 and I1.
Gasharan

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/101/circuitk.jpg/

The question asks you to demonstrate what I0(t) and I1(t) are, it gives you the solutions.

Homework Equations

V(t)=Vcos(wt)

I0(t)=(V/wL)((w0^2-w^2)/(2wo^2-w^2))
I1(t)=(V/wL)((w0^2)/(2wo^2-w^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to write the differential equations, and run through the algebra to solve them, but I don't know how to cancel my cos(wt), nor do I know i the equations I have are correct.

I have: L* I0' +L* I1'=Vcos(wt)

and I0''+w0^2(I1'-I0')=V/L*cos(wt) (where I differentiated once and divided through by L).

We're allowed to "assume forms of solutions," which would mean I(t)=I0/1*sin(wt)--basically the problem boils down to finding the coefficients that go in front of sin(wt).

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Gasharan said:
I have: L* I0' +L* I1'=Vcos(wt)

and I0''+w0^2(I1'-I0')=V/L*cos(wt) (where I differentiated once and divided through by L).

You forgot to differentiate the voltage. The right-hand side of your second equation has to be -wVsin(wt).

Assume the solution in form I0=Asin(wt) and I1=Bsin(wt), get the differentials and plug in. You get two equations for A and B.

ehild

I tried that-- and I just got A=B= V/wL--which is not the right answer.

Are my differential equations written wrong, or am I still missing something?

Thanks for the help

Let's start from the beginning. I did not notice that your second equation had some other mistakes.

The voltage across the capacitor is equal to Vc=Q/C. And

Vc =Vcos(wt)-L*I0', that is

Q/C=Vcos(wt)-L *I0'

The current through the capacitor is Ic=Q', differentiating the previous equation, you get

Ic/C=-Vwsin(wt)-L*I0''.

According to Kirchhoff's Current Law, I0=Ic+I1, plugging Ic=I0-I1 into the previous equation, you get

(I0-I1)/C=-Vwsin(wt)-L*I0". Rearranging:

I0''+(I0-I1)/(LC)=-V(w/L )*sin(wt), but LC=1/w0^2,

so finally you have the equations for I0 and I1:

I0''+(I0-I1)w0^2=-V(w/L)*sin(wt)

L* I0' +L* I1'=Vcos(wt)

Try now again, with I0(t)=Asin(wt) and I1(t)=Bsin(wt).

ehild

Okay, I got it. Thank you so much for your help.

1. What is a variable voltage, two inductor, one capacitor circuit?

A variable voltage, two inductor, one capacitor circuit is a type of electric circuit that uses two inductors and one capacitor to control the voltage output. This circuit is often used in electrical power supplies or voltage regulators.

2. How does a variable voltage, two inductor, one capacitor circuit work?

This circuit works by using the two inductors to regulate the voltage output. The first inductor, also known as the input inductor, smooths out the input voltage. The second inductor, or output inductor, controls the voltage output by varying the amount of current flowing through it. The capacitor is used to further filter out any fluctuations in the output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a variable voltage, two inductor, one capacitor circuit?

One advantage of using this type of circuit is that it can regulate the output voltage without the use of complex electronic components. It also has a simple design and is relatively inexpensive to produce. Additionally, it can handle high power loads and has a wide range of voltage regulation.

4. What are the applications of a variable voltage, two inductor, one capacitor circuit?

This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices that require a stable and adjustable voltage, such as power supplies for computers and other electronic devices. It can also be used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels, to regulate the output voltage.

5. Are there any limitations to using a variable voltage, two inductor, one capacitor circuit?

One limitation of this circuit is that it can produce electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to the switching of the inductors. This can affect the performance of other nearby electronic devices. Additionally, the circuit may not be suitable for highly sensitive electronic equipment that requires extremely stable voltage output.