Biot-Savart's law of magnetic field electromagnetic fields

In summary: P (0,0,2). So you can find angle B as well as angle Bnet.In summary, Biot-Savart's law of magnetic field states that the magnetic field at a point is proportional to the current and the perpendicular distance from the line carrying the current to the point. To find the magnetic field at a point, one can use the equation H= I/4∏ρ * (cosθ2-cosθ1) a∅, where ρ is the perpendicular distance and a∅ is a unit vector along the perpendicular line. In the given problem, the magnetic field is to be evaluated at points (2,2,0), (4,2,0), (4
Alhussein
Biot-Savart's law of magnetic field " electromagnetic fields"

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop carrying 10 A of current is placed on z=0 plane as shown in figure . Evaluate H at a) (2,2,0)
b) (4,2,0)
c) (4,8,0)
d) (0,0,2)

Homework Equations

the used equation to answer the problem is
H= I/4∏ρ * (cosθ2-cosθ1) a∅
where ρ is the perpendicular distance between the line carrying current and the point which we need to evaluate H at
a∅=al X aρ
where aρ is a unit vector along the perpendicular line from the line current to the field point

The Attempt at a Solution

i already answered a,b,c and I'm sure about the answers
but the number d is kinda hard . i solved it with many ways but it seems that I'm misunderstanding something here so i hoped that some1 can help me and tell me
what's the ρ and aρ is this situation . i just need to know how to get ρ and aρ in the future so i hope whoever answers will concentrate on showing me how to get it . thanks for helping me

http://www.mediafire.com/?21cwcskwt3yect4

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Alhussein said:

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop carrying 10 A of current is placed on z=0 plane as shown in figure . Evaluate H at a) (2,2,0)
b) (4,2,0)
c) (4,8,0)
d) (0,0,2)

Homework Equations

the used equation to answer the problem is
H= I/4∏ρ * (cosθ2-cosθ1) a∅
where ρ is the perpendicular distance between the line carrying current and the point which we need to evaluate H at
a∅=al X aρ
where aρ is a unit vector along the perpendicular line from the line current to the field point

The Attempt at a Solution

i already answered a,b,c and I'm sure about the answers
but the number d is kinda hard . i solved it with many ways but it seems that I'm misunderstanding something here so i hoped that some1 can help me and tell me
what's the ρ and aρ is this situation . i just need to know how to get ρ and aρ in the future so i hope whoever answers will concentrate on showing me how to get it . thanks for helping me

http://www.mediafire.com/?21cwcskwt3yect4
Your image is NOT viewable. I don't see it !

Last edited by a moderator:

SammyS said:
Your image is NOT viewable. I don't see it !

sry here's the picture. it's kinda small idk why. anyway in words the current goes from origin to point (8,0) then from point (8,0) to (8,4) then from point (8,4) to (0,4) then it goes from point (0,4) back to origin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 672

attachment.php?attachmentid=42581&stc=1&d=1326124670.png

Let the loop is ABCD
look at the above pic, By finding the angle of B and Bnet, you can find net mag field

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 849

Biot-Savart's law of magnetic field states that a magnetic field is generated by a current-carrying wire and is proportional to the magnitude of the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point where the magnetic field is being measured. This law is fundamental in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields and is used in many applications in physics and engineering.

In this problem, we are asked to evaluate the magnetic field at four different points in space, given a rectangular loop carrying 10 A of current placed on the z=0 plane. To do this, we can use the equation provided, which is based on Biot-Savart's law.

For point (0,0,2), we need to determine the perpendicular distance between the line carrying current and the point. In this case, the perpendicular distance is simply the distance between the z=0 plane and the point, which is 2 units. This is our ρ value.

Next, we need to determine the unit vector aρ, which is a vector that points from the line carrying current to the field point and is perpendicular to both the line and the direction of current flow. In this case, since the line carrying current is on the z=0 plane, aρ will be in the z direction. Therefore, aρ = (0,0,1).

Plugging in these values into the equation provided, we get:

H = (10 A)/(4π * 2 units) * (cos90° - cos0°) * (0,0,1)

H = (10 A)/(8π) * (0 - 1) * (0,0,1)

H = (-5/4π) * (0,0,1)

H = (0,0,-5/4π)

Therefore, at point (0,0,2), the magnetic field is (0,0,-5/4π).

Related to Biot-Savart's law of magnetic field electromagnetic fields

1. What is Biot-Savart's law?

Biot-Savart's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current, the distance from the point to the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the line connecting the point to the current.

2. What does Biot-Savart's law tell us about magnetic fields?

Biot-Savart's law provides a mathematical relationship between the magnetic field and the current that produces it. It allows us to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space due to a steady current, making it a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields.

3. How is Biot-Savart's law different from Ampere's law?

While both laws deal with the relationship between current and magnetic fields, they are used in different situations. Biot-Savart's law is used to calculate the magnetic field due to a steady current, while Ampere's law is used to calculate the magnetic field due to a steady current enclosed by a closed loop.

4. What are some real-world applications of Biot-Savart's law?

Biot-Savart's law has many practical applications, including in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields in high-energy physics and in the development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology in medicine.

5. How was Biot-Savart's law discovered?

Biot-Savart's law was first described by French physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Felix Savart in the early 19th century. They conducted experiments and developed a mathematical formula to describe the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, which became known as Biot-Savart's law.