What's on the other side of a black hole?

In summary: Sorry. I'll keep that in mind.No worries. Simon's links are a good place to start learning about black holes and wormholes.
assassinsdoc
Can a black hole be a portal to another dimension?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
assassinsdoc said:
Depends what you mean by "another dimension". The question does not mean anything as you have answered it.

The TLDR answer is "no".

Perhaps you are thinking of a wormhole?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole
http://www.space.com/20881-wormholes.html

TLDR: wormholes, if they can exist, would have a black-hole on one side, but not all black holes are entrances to a wormhole.

Also see:
http://www.jimhaldenwang.com/black_hole.htm
... for what's likely "inside" a regular black hole.

I've seen some stuff in cartoons and other sci-fi films where there are possibilities of the existence of somebody just like me in another part of the universe. Like, if I'm X, then somewhere else another person called X' exists. Can a black hole act as a portal to this 'another world' where a 'similar yet separate entity' exists?

Excuse me if it seems a little far-fetched but I'm young, and new to this. So I'm inquisitive :-D

assassinsdoc said:

assassinsdoc said:
I've seen some stuff in cartoons and other sci-fi films where there are possibilities of the existence of somebody just like me in another part of the universe. Like, if I'm X, then somewhere else another person called X' exists. Can a black hole act as a portal to this 'another world' where a 'similar yet separate entity' exists?

Excuse me if it seems a little far-fetched but I'm young, and new to this. So I'm inquisitive :-D

We discuss mainstream science here at the PF, not cartoon fantasies.

Sorry. I'll keep that in mind.

assassinsdoc said:
Sorry. I'll keep that in mind.

No worries. Simon's links are a good place to start learning about black holes and wormholes. :smile:

Likes 1 person
Short answer is "no".
I'll concentrate on the science part.

The proposal has two parts.
1. you have a doppelganger someplace else in this Universe
2. you can meet you doppelganger via a black-hole

For 1. there are very famous calculations concerning the uniqueness of life on Earth and the individual human being. There may well be an Earth-like planet someplace else, and parallel evolution may well produce erect bipedal life forms capable of exploring the Universe in a manner recognizable to us. But the vast possibilities of morphology mean that you won't get a duplicate right down to the circumstances that go to make a particular individual.

For 2. See the links I gave you as to why this is a "no".

Since both parts are, separately, so unlikely as to call for zero odds over the entire lifetime of the Universe - the combination pretty much defines "impossible" - no way no how nosirree never... etc.

I wanted to show you that to illustrate scientific thinking.

Artistic thinking OTOH is what cartoons are made of.

Related to What's on the other side of a black hole?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own weight.

2. Is there really a "other side" of a black hole?

The concept of an "other side" of a black hole is a bit misleading. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole creates a singularity at its center, which is a point of infinite density and zero volume. As such, it is impossible to predict or imagine what exists beyond the event horizon of a black hole.

3. Can anything survive passing through a black hole?

No known object or matter can survive passing through a black hole. The intense gravitational forces would stretch and tear apart anything that gets too close, and the intense radiation and extreme temperatures would destroy any particles.

4. What happens to time inside a black hole?

According to the theory of relativity, time slows down as you approach the event horizon of a black hole. This means that from an external observer's perspective, time would appear to come to a standstill for an object falling into a black hole.

5. Is it possible to travel through a black hole?

Traveling through a black hole is currently considered impossible due to the extreme conditions inside it. However, some theories suggest that it might be possible to travel through a black hole if it is rotating and has a large enough event horizon. However, this is purely speculative and has not been proven.