Isentropic Efficiency - Nozzle

In summary, the isentropic efficiency of a nozzle is 90%, but this doesn't mean that the entropy at the entrance and exit of the nozzle are equal.
VooDoo
Hey guys,

I have been given that the isentropic efficiency of a nozzle = 90%. Inlet condictions are: 5MPa and 550°C and exit: 100kPa.

Now [tex]\eta_{n}(h_{i}[/tex] - [tex]h_{0}[/tex]) = [tex]V^{2}_{i}[/tex]/2

h(o) - h(i) is the enthalpy drop across the turbine.

Now next they say that s(o) = s(i). Now how can the entropy at the entrance of the nozzle be equal to the entropy at the exit if the isentropic efficiency of the nozzle is not equal to one!

Here is a picture of my notes:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6140/111nm6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe there is heat transfer out of your nozzle?

The isentropic efficiency is a type of efficiency that is defined by dividing the actual work output or KE output to the isentropic output. Why do you assume for your nozzle that it is isentropic when you are given the efficiency?

VooDoo said:
Hey guys,

I have been given that the isentropic efficiency of a nozzle = 90%. Inlet condictions are: 5MPa and 550°C and exit: 100kPa.

Now [tex]\eta_{n}(h_{i}[/tex] - [tex]h_{0}[/tex]) = [tex]V^{2}_{i}[/tex]/2

h(o) - h(i) is the enthalpy drop across the turbine.

Now next they say that s(o) = s(i). Now how can the entropy at the entrance of the nozzle be equal to the entropy at the exit if the isentropic efficiency of the nozzle is not equal to one!

Reiterating what FredGarvin was saying...the term "isentropic efficiency" refers to a comparsion between actual performance and the ideal isentropic performace. If s(o) = s(i), then yes, the efficiency would be 100%. I think you just misunderstood the usage of the words.
\frac{V_{2}^2/2}{(V_{2}^2/2)_{s}}
OR
\frac{h_{1}-h_{2}}{h_{1}-h_{2s}}

let me get this straight ,the question is wrong isn't it ?..cos his notes clearly mention that inlet entropy is equal to outlet entropy=7.131 kj/kgK and yet the question says that isentropic efficiency is 90 % how can both of this be true ?

90 % would mean a curved expansion graph, in which the initial entropy would be different from final entropy which means S(I) and S(O) can't be same ,right ?

Mechaniac said:
let me get this straight ,the question is wrong isn't it ?..cos his notes clearly mention that inlet entropy is equal to outlet entropy=7.131 kj/kgK and yet the question says that isentropic efficiency is 90 % how can both of this be true ?

90 % would mean a curved expansion graph, in which the initial entropy would be different from final entropy which means S(I) and S(O) can't be same ,right ?

Yes, the notes are unclear and seem to have no relevance to the problem stated by the original poster. Turbine...nozzle...which is it?

What is isentropic efficiency for a nozzle?

Isentropic efficiency for a nozzle is a measure of the performance of the nozzle in converting the thermal energy of a gas into kinetic energy. It is a ratio of the actual kinetic energy at the nozzle exit to the maximum possible kinetic energy that could have been obtained if the process were isentropic.

How is isentropic efficiency of a nozzle calculated?

The isentropic efficiency of a nozzle is calculated by dividing the actual kinetic energy at the nozzle exit by the maximum possible kinetic energy that could have been obtained if the process were isentropic. This value is then multiplied by 100 to express it as a percentage.

What factors affect the isentropic efficiency of a nozzle?

The isentropic efficiency of a nozzle is affected by several factors such as the shape and design of the nozzle, the gas properties, and the operating conditions. Other factors that can influence the efficiency include frictional losses, shock waves, and heat transfer.

What is the ideal value for isentropic efficiency of a nozzle?

The ideal value for isentropic efficiency of a nozzle is 100%, which means that the nozzle is able to convert all of the thermal energy of the gas into kinetic energy without any losses. However, this is rarely achieved in practice, and the efficiency of most nozzles ranges from 90% to 95%.

Why is isentropic efficiency important for nozzle design?

Isentropic efficiency is an important factor in nozzle design as it is a measure of the performance of the nozzle. A high isentropic efficiency means that the nozzle is able to convert a larger amount of thermal energy into kinetic energy, resulting in a more efficient and powerful nozzle. Therefore, understanding and optimizing the isentropic efficiency is crucial in designing efficient nozzles for various applications.