Isentropic Efficiency of a Compressor

In summary, an isentropic compressor is an ideal compressor, but it is not always possible to build one.
bardia sepehrnia
Homework Statement
The adiabatic compressor of a refrigeration system compresses saturated R-134a vapor at 0°C to 600 kPa and 50°C. What is the isentropic efficiency of this compressor?
Relevant Equations
n=(h2s-h1)/(h2a-h1)
1617229021353.png

We know that if potential and kinetic energy our negligible, the isentropic efficiency of a compressor is isentropic enthalpy change divided by actual enthalpy change: n=(h2s-h1)/(h2a-h1)
So I already answered this question and here is the answer: n1 is the isentropic efficiency of the compressor (0.37). Also h2a is the actual enthalpy value at the exit, and h2s is the isentropic enthalpy value at the exit (if process was reversible). Entropy (s1) was found as given temperature and quality value for the refrigerant. The entropy at outlet must be equal to entropy at inlet for isentropic process.

1617230341132.png

However, I'm confused about one thing. My lecturer told us that in order to find the isentropic enthalpy value at exit, the enthalpy should be found at the given specific entropy value and "pressure".

Here is my question, why can't we find the enthalpy using temperature as one of the independent properties instead of the pressure? I have calculated the isentropic efficiency using entropy and temperature instead of pressure (h2s_2), and I get a much higher efficiency. (0.72)

Attachments

• 1617229114485.png
    1617229114485.png
    37 KB · Views: 280
Physics news on Phys.org
Because a compressor is designed to operate between two specified pressures, not between two specified temperatures.

Chestermiller said:
Because a compressor is designed to operate between two specified pressures, not between two specified temperatures.
I get that. But what if it was a turbine instead and the process was reversed. From high temperature and pressure at inlet, to low temperature and low pressure at the exit. Due to irreversibility, the temperature at the outlet would be "more" than the temperature value for an isentropic (reversible) process since some heat is generated by the turbine. But it could very well be that, the pressure at the outlet is less than the pressure value for an isentropic process at a given temperature.

bardia sepehrnia said:
I get that. But what if it was a turbine instead and the process was reversed. From high temperature and pressure at inlet, to low temperature and low pressure at the exit. Due to irreversibility, the temperature at the outlet would be "more" than the temperature value for an isentropic (reversible) process since some heat is generated by the turbine. But it could very well be that, the pressure at the outlet is less than the pressure value for an isentropic process at a given temperature.
Yes. So,...?

bardia sepehrnia said:
Here is my question, why can't we find the enthalpy using temperature as one of the independent properties instead of the pressure?
When you want to built a compressor, your objective is to increase the pressure alone. In practice, we note that there is always an increase in temperature which corresponds to a lost. The best we could do is if we did an isentropic compression. This is then the ideal situation. Therefore, we compare our compressor to the ideal one, where you still get a 600 kPa outlet pressure, but at a 24 °C instead of a 50 °C. Less heat loss; but you cannot go lower (without introducing a cooling process).

When you choose to keep the same outlet temperature for the isentropic process - while not caring about the outlet pressure - you are basically saying that you are in fact designing a heater. Your objective IS to reach 50 °C by increasing the pressure. If you were doing it isentropically, well, the temperature doesn't increase much. So you will need to reach a much higher pressure (1163 kPa instead of 600 kPa), which requires a lot more work. Therefore a very inefficient compressor is always a very efficient heater. That is normal since you have an alternative heat source (i.e. friction) that put heat in the system.

1. What is the definition of isentropic efficiency of a compressor?

The isentropic efficiency of a compressor is a measure of how well a compressor is able to compress a gas without any heat transfer or change in entropy. It is expressed as a percentage and is a comparison of the actual work required to compress the gas to the work that would be required if the compression process were isentropic (without any losses).

2. How is isentropic efficiency of a compressor calculated?

The isentropic efficiency of a compressor is calculated by dividing the actual work required to compress the gas by the work that would be required if the compression process were isentropic. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. The formula is: isentropic efficiency = (actual work required / isentropic work required) x 100%.

3. What factors affect the isentropic efficiency of a compressor?

The isentropic efficiency of a compressor can be affected by various factors such as the type of compressor, the design and condition of the compressor, the type of gas being compressed, the temperature and pressure of the gas, and the speed of the compressor. In general, a higher isentropic efficiency is desirable as it indicates a more efficient compression process.

4. Why is it important to know the isentropic efficiency of a compressor?

Knowing the isentropic efficiency of a compressor is important because it helps in evaluating the performance of the compressor and identifying any potential issues or inefficiencies. It also allows for comparisons between different compressors and helps in selecting the most suitable compressor for a specific application.

5. How can the isentropic efficiency of a compressor be improved?

The isentropic efficiency of a compressor can be improved by optimizing the design and condition of the compressor, using high-quality components, maintaining proper operating conditions, and regularly monitoring and maintaining the compressor. It is also important to select a compressor that is well-matched to the specific gas and application to achieve the best possible efficiency.