Unlocking the Mysteries of the Metaperiodic Table

• Thread starter Antymattar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, an atom with more electrons in its outer shell has a lower energy and is less stable. This is why some elements have more electrons in the outer shell than others. If you could arrange the electrons in an atom so that they were in a higher energy configuration, that would create a new element with new properties.
Antymattar
Hello. I recently read Theodore Gray`s book "The Elements" and was extremely fascinated by the small world of atoms. I was fascinated about the structure of atoms and wanted to know more about why and how they are composed.

After studying a bit I hit a bit of a curiosity. Why don some elements atoms don`t pack their electrons in a way so that they are not always as close to the core as possible? Is there an explanation to this? I was also very interested ion the lanthanide section of the periodic table. I heard that an element is defined by their outer ring of electrons, thought, that can clearely not be the case considering that the lanthanides have the same amount of electrons on the outer ring. So one must conclude that the inner electrons also define the element in some way.

Now what does this have to do with the title? I was wondering, would it be possible to assemble atoms in a way that you can define in what ring the electrons are located. Would it be possible to make a hydrogen atom but have it`s electron be somwhere in the 7p orbit?

If so then I soppose that that would create a completely new element with new properties.

I appologise for any bad grammar you may come across(I`m Latvian)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wow! that's some good stuff there.

Antymattar said:
Would it be possible to make a hydrogen atom but have it`s electron be somwhere in the 7p orbit?

If so then I soppose that that would create a completely new element with new properties.

Elements are determined by the number of protons (the atomic number). An atom with an electron in a higher-energy state is called an excited atom. (If the number of electrons doesn't match the number of protons, it's called an ion; if you adjust the number of neutrons, you create different isotopes.)

Antymattar said:
After studying a bit I hit a bit of a curiosity. Why don some elements atoms don`t pack their electrons in a way so that they are not always as close to the core as possible? Is there an explanation to this? I was also very interested ion the lanthanide section of the periodic table. I heard that an element is defined by their outer ring of electrons, thought, that can clearely not be the case considering that the lanthanides have the same amount of electrons on the outer ring. So one must conclude that the inner electrons also define the element in some way.

Electrons pack in such a way as to minimize their energy. While distance from the nucleus is one important factor determining the energies of the orbitals, it is not the only factor. In atoms containing more than one electron, electron-electron repulsion also plays a role in determining the energies of the orbitals. These interactions are responsible for the fact that, say the 4s orbital has a lower energy than the 3d orbital even though the electrons in the 3d orbital are, on average, closer to the nucleus than electrons in the 4s orbital.

As Mapes mentioned, the identity of an element is by definition defined by the number of protons in its nucleus. However, the chemical properties of an atom are defined by the electronic structure of the outer shell of electrons. Therefore, atoms with similar outer electron configurations, such as the lanthanides, will have very similar chemical properties. In fact, the chemistries of the lanthanides are so similar that it is notoriously difficult to separate them from one another. In most cases, we cannot separate them based on chemical properties; rather, our separation methods must be based on their physical properties like the sizes of the atoms (and their ions).

There are actually atoms like you describe. We call them excited states. When an atom abosrbs a photon it electrons arranges in a higher energy configuration. They are usually very shortlived and a photon is given off again. However, there are exceptions. Helium can be excited to a state with the electon spins parallell which can be kept for long periods, minutes if I remember correctly. It is called metastable helium. Google it, I am sure you'll find it interesting.

1. What is the Metaperiodic Table?

The Metaperiodic Table is a theoretical extension of the periodic table that incorporates elements beyond the known 118 elements. It is based on the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and aims to provide a more complete understanding of the properties and behavior of all elements.

2. How is the Metaperiodic Table different from the periodic table?

While the periodic table organizes elements based on increasing atomic number and recurring chemical properties, the Metaperiodic Table takes into account additional parameters such as electron configurations, spin states, and nuclear interactions. It also includes elements that are not yet discovered or synthesized.

3. What practical applications does the Metaperiodic Table have?

The Metaperiodic Table can potentially aid in the discovery and synthesis of new elements, as well as provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of known elements. It can also be used to predict the properties of yet-to-be-discovered elements and their potential uses in various fields such as materials science, medicine, and energy production.

4. How is the Metaperiodic Table supported by scientific evidence?

The Metaperiodic Table is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations. Additionally, the Metaperiodic Table has been validated through computer simulations and theoretical calculations, which have shown good agreement with experimental data.

5. Will the Metaperiodic Table replace the periodic table?

No, the Metaperiodic Table is not intended to replace the periodic table, but rather to complement it and provide a more comprehensive understanding of elements. The periodic table will continue to be the standard for organizing and categorizing known elements, while the Metaperiodic Table will serve as a theoretical framework for exploring the properties of all elements.