Reflected wave extent into media

• Thread starter johng23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the second harmonic generation from a sub 100 nm nonlinear film is complicated by the presence of reflected waves from the entire film.
johng23
This question relates to second harmonic generation from a sub 100 nm nonlinear film.

When light impinges on an interface, some fraction is transmitted and reflected as described by the Fresnel equations. If I want to calculate the radiated second harmonic wave from a material, at first glance the reasonable thing to do is to consider only the amplitude of the transmitted fundamental wave. The reflected wave does not enter the second region so it does not generate any nonlinear polarization. This is the approach I have seen in at least one paper on the subject.

Classically we can imagine that the reflected fundamental wave is generated by radiating dipoles near the surface of the material. According to a qualitative argument in Hecht, this wave would be generated from a depth of about [itex]\lambda[/itex]/2 in a transparent material. In any case, for a thin transparent film, the entire film feels the presence of the reflected field in addition to the transmitted component. In this case it seems to me that the entire incident field could contribute to second harmonic generation, including that fraction of the light which is reflected.

I don't know where my intuition fails, yet I don't think this is correct, as I don't know of any way that the equations of optics would distinguish between a near-surface region which polarizes in response to a field of amplitude E, and a bulk region which only feels a field of amplitude tE.

Science news on Phys.org
I've realized a simpler but related question:

The fresnel equations describe the reflectivity of a dielectric, but the thickness of the material does not appear in the equation. Does a correction need to be made for a nanoscale film? In a metal, the reflectivity is only partial when the thickness is comparable to the skin depth. There should be an analogous correction in this case.

1. What is a reflected wave extent into media?

A reflected wave extent into media refers to the distance to which a wave is reflected when it encounters a boundary between two different media.

2. How does the extent of reflected wave into media impact wave behavior?

The extent of reflected wave into media can significantly impact wave behavior. When a wave encounters a boundary, some of the energy is reflected back into the original medium while some is transmitted into the new medium. The extent of the reflected wave can determine the amount of energy that is transmitted and the direction in which the wave will travel.

3. What factors influence the extent of reflected wave into media?

The extent of reflected wave into media is influenced by several factors including the properties of the two media (such as density and elasticity), the angle of incidence of the wave, and the frequency of the wave.

4. Can the extent of reflected wave into media be controlled?

Yes, the extent of reflected wave into media can be controlled through various methods such as using different materials for the boundary, changing the angle of incidence, and altering the frequency of the wave. This is important in applications such as acoustic barriers and optical devices.

5. How is the extent of reflected wave into media measured?

The extent of reflected wave into media can be measured using various techniques such as reflection coefficient, reflection loss, and transmission coefficient. These methods involve measuring the intensity of the reflected and transmitted waves and calculating their ratios to determine the extent of reflection.