Radiation absorption by an atom

In summary, when light is shone on an atom, its electrons can jump to a more energetic energy level and then emit the same energy when returning to their original level. This energy is quantized, meaning the atom can only absorb and emit certain discrete frequencies. The hydrogen atom, for example, needs a radiation of 10.2 eV to move from the n=1 to n=2 energy level. If a monochromatic light of 10.3 eV is shone on the atom, it will absorb the radiation. Light can also scatter off atoms, which means some of the energy and momentum from the photon is transferred to the atom in a billiard-ball collision. This excess energy can cause the atom to v
jaumzaum
When we shine light on an atom, it can absorbs this radiation, stimulating its electrons to jump to a more energetic energy level. This lasts too little time, and when the electrons come back to their original (fundamental) energy level, they emit the same energy they had absorbed before. This energy levels, though, are quantized. And by what I've understood, the atoms can only ABSORB and emit some discrete frequencies. So, I'm confused about the following:

Consider the hydrogen atom.
To pass from the n=1 to the n=2 energy level, we need a radiation of 13,6 (1/1² - 1/2²) = 10,2 eV.
What would happen if we shine a monochromatic light of energy hf = 10,3 eV?
Would the atom absorb that radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Light does not just excite atoms, it also scatters off them.

Bill_K said:
Light does not just excite atoms, it also scatters off them.

What does it mean?

Scattering is a billiard-ball collision in which some of the energy and momentum of the photon is transferred to the atom. You might take a look at this Wikipedia page.

Bill_K said:
Scattering is a billiard-ball collision in which some of the energy and momentum of the photon is transferred to the atom. You might take a look at this Wikipedia page.

Thank you. I've read your page about the topic, can you tell me if I understood it right?

By what I've understood, the excess of energy is absorbed by the atom, making it vibrate in different levels of vibration (rayleigh scattering). Is this right?
Are this vibration levels quantized too? By what I know so far, vibration is a type of movement that does not change the mass center of a molecule. Could this excess of energy be added to the translational or rotational energies too?

1. How does an atom absorb radiation?

When an atom absorbs radiation, it means that the energy of the radiation is transferred to the atom's electrons. This causes the electrons to become excited and move to a higher energy level.

2. What factors affect the amount of radiation absorbed by an atom?

The amount of radiation absorbed by an atom depends on several factors, including the type of atom, the energy of the radiation, and the physical properties of the atom, such as its size and density. Additionally, the number of electrons in an atom and their arrangement also play a role in absorption.

3. How does radiation absorption affect an atom?

Radiation absorption can affect an atom in several ways. It can cause the atom's electrons to become excited and move to a higher energy level, which can lead to chemical reactions or changes in the atom's physical properties. In some cases, the absorption of high levels of radiation can also damage the atom's structure.

4. Can radiation absorption by an atom be harmful?

While some radiation absorption is necessary for many natural processes, high levels of radiation absorption can be harmful to living organisms. This is because it can damage cells and DNA, leading to mutations and potential health problems. However, the harmful effects of radiation absorption depend on several factors, such as the type of radiation and the amount absorbed.

5. How is radiation absorption measured?

The amount of radiation absorbed by an atom is typically measured using units such as roentgens or rads. These units measure the amount of energy transferred to the atoms in a specific material. Other units, such as the sievert, are used to measure the amount of biological damage caused by radiation absorption.