Magnetic Flux and Induced Voltage Interesing question

In summary, the problem involves a cart with a mass of 0.5kg and 150 loops, moving down a ramp with a height of 0.4m and a wire with a height of 0.1m and a width of 0.2m. Assuming negligible friction and constant electromagnetic forces, the task is to calculate the cart's speed at point 5w. The given values are as follows: resistance of 2.5 ohms, magnetic field of 1.2T, voltage of 50V as the cart enters the field, and an induced current of 20A. The force of the cart as it enters the field is 2.4N, resulting in an acceleration of
stonecoldgen

Homework Statement

assuming that friction is negligible and tthat electromagnetic forces are constant, (when they occur) calculate the speed of the cart at point 5w

this is part IV of a question, so in the other parts and in the given, i found out that:

mass of the cart=0.5kg
number of loops=150
hieght of the rampo=0.4m
height of the wire=0.1
width=0.2m
Resistance: 2.5 ohms
Magnetic field=1.2T

Homework Equations

[itex]\phi[/itex]=BA
[itex]\epsilon[/itex]=-N[itex]\Delta\phi[/itex]/[itex]\Delta[/itex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity of the cart at the bottom of the ramp is 2.8m/s
the Voltage of the cart as it enters the field is 50V
the current induced is 20A
The force of teh cart as it enters the field is 2.4N, making its acceleration 4.8m/s/s

Normal kinematics don't seem to work well, any tip?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "5w" refer to?
What is the geometry of the system?

You have not actually shown us how you attempted the problem - only the numbers you got as a result.

Simon Bridge said:
What does "5w" refer to?
What is the geometry of the system?

You have not actually shown us how you attempted the problem - only the numbers you got as a result.

5w refers to 5(.2)=1m

what i did was the following:

The acceleration is 4.8m/s/s, this is sort of like a railgun.

so

V22=v12+2ad

and i plugged in the humbers

V22=(2.8)2+2(4.8)(1)

and it turns out that supposedly v2=4.18

when it's supposed to be 2

so now this makes me think why this isn't exactly like a railgun (the velocity decrased)

any ideas?

for some reason I think this can only be solved with calculus, just a feeling, a weird feeling though...

This is why I asked about the geometry - isn't there a slope involved?

Simon Bridge said:
This is why I asked about the geometry - isn't there a slope involved?

There is a slope and then comes the magnetic field. The magnetic field lies on a flat surface. I already calculated the speed the cart gets when it reaches the flat part.

OK - so if your initial speed is 2.8m/s, and the final speed is supposed to be 2m/s, then what is the effect of the magnetic field on the cart?

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measurement of the total magnetic field passing through a surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Weber (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) through which the field passes, and by the cosine of the angle between the field and the area. The formula is Φ = B * A * cos(θ).

3. What is induced voltage?

Induced voltage is the voltage that is created in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field changes. It is also known as electromotive force (EMF).

4. How is induced voltage related to magnetic flux?

Induced voltage is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This means that the faster the flux changes, the higher the induced voltage will be.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic flux and induced voltage?

Magnetic flux and induced voltage are important in various technologies such as power generation, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in devices like transformers and MRI machines. Additionally, they are essential concepts in understanding the principles of electromagnetic induction and the functioning of many electrical devices.