Why Is the Center of Gravity Calculation Resulting in Negative Coordinates?

In summary: If you only have one Coordinate, then you can just use that. But if you have two Coordinates, then you need to divide each coordinate by two to get the center of mass.
webren
Hello,
I with this problem, I am getting the correct answer, but I do not know why the book's answer is negative:

"Consider the following mass distribution: 5.00 kg at (0,0) m, 3.00 kg at (0, 4.00) m, and 4.00 kg at (3.00, 0) m. Where should a fourth object of mass 8.00 kg be placed so that the center of gravity of the four-object arrangement will be at (0,0)?"

I understand that the center of gravity is the sum of the masses multiplied by the x and y coordinates divided by the sum of the masses of the objects.

The answer I come to are (1.5, 1.5). The book says both of those coordinates are negative. What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show me your work so I can see where you have made a mistake. Keep in mind, you will get a negative number if the mass is to the left of your origin

Remember, if the center of mass is on the origin, then the sum of the x components multiplied by the masses, and the sum of the y components multiplied by the masses, is zero

Here is my work for the x coordinate of the center of gravity:

The sum of the coordinates multiplied by their respective masses are:
(5kg)(0) + (3kg)(0) + (4kg)(3m) + (8kg)(x) = 0.
I know I need to find x, so the equation becomes: (8)(x) + 12 = 0

The sum of all the masses are (5 + 3 + 4 + 8) = 20.
If you divide the two sums, you will get (12 + 8x) divided by 20. Solving for x yields positive 1.5 The book claims that there is a negative as the answer.

When my professor worked this problem out in class, at the end of the calculations (when he was trying to solve for x), he randomly placed a negative sign onto the 12, which of course yields the -1.5. I do not understand why this negative keeps popping up. I do understand if the mass is going to be at the left of the origin, it will be negative, but my calculations say it should be to the right, which should make the coordinates positive.

Thank you.

webren said:
Here is my work for the x coordinate of the center of gravity:

The sum of the coordinates multiplied by their respective masses are:
(5kg)(0) + (3kg)(0) + (4kg)(3m) + (8kg)(x) = 0.
I know I need to find x, so the equation becomes: (8)(x) + 12 = 0
Actually, it's the coordinates of the CM that equal zero, not just that sum. To find those coordinates you must divide that sum by the total mass. (Since the coordinates of the CM are zero, you'll end up with the same equation.)

The sum of all the masses are (5 + 3 + 4 + 8) = 20.
If you divide the two sums, you will get (12 + 8x) divided by 20. Solving for x yields positive 1.5 The book claims that there is a negative as the answer.
To get the x-coordinate of the CM, you must divide (8x + 12) by 20 and set that equal to 0. So:
(8x + 12)/20 = 0

Since the right hand side is 0, you can just multiply both sides by 20 and end up with your earlier equation:
8x + 12 = 0

Now just solve that equation for x; x is what you are trying to find.

(Edited to be clearer and more accurate.)​

Last edited:
Ah, I think I see. So is dividing not necessary at all for this kind of problem?

webren said:
Ah, I think I see. So is dividing not necessary at all for this kind of problem?
No, dividing by the total mass to find the CM is the right thing to do. But for the special case where the CM is given as zero, it won't make a difference. (I'm going to update my earlier response, since it might be misleading.)

Last edited:
I understand a lot better. Thank you.

There is another similar problem where it shows an L-shaped ruler and each side's length. There is no mass given, so I assumed the center of gravity of the scenario is the sum of the coordinates multiplied by the area, divided by the total area of the shapes (which is two rectangles). It seems like you initially have to divide each side by 2 and figure it out from there. Why is it mandatory to divide by two?

webren said:
It seems like you initially have to divide each side by 2 and figure it out from there. Why is it mandatory to divide by two?
To find the coordinates of the center of mass of each piece--which is right in the middle--you would divide the length by two.

What is the Center of Gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the total weight of a body or object can be considered to be concentrated. It is also known as the center of mass.

How is the Center of Gravity Calculated?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual points of an object's mass. This is done by multiplying the mass of each point by its distance from a chosen reference point, and then dividing the total by the sum of the individual masses.

Why is the Center of Gravity Important?

The center of gravity is important because it allows us to understand how objects will behave when subjected to external forces. It is also crucial in designing stable structures and vehicles.

Can the Center of Gravity be Outside of an Object?

Yes, the center of gravity can be outside of an object. This typically occurs when an object has an irregular shape or when the weight is not evenly distributed.

How does the Center of Gravity Affect Balance?

The center of gravity directly affects an object's balance. If the center of gravity is located above the base of an object, it will be stable. However, if the center of gravity is outside the base, the object will be unstable and may topple over.