Calculating Ratios of Moments: Spatial Extent of Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of interpreting ratios of moments of probability density distributions and quantifying the spatial extent of the distribution. The first moment is the expectation, the second moment is the variance, and the third moment is the skew factor. The discussion also mentions kurtosis as a measure of how symmetrical the distribution is. The conversation ends with a question about functionally complete gates.
Jacob
I've been told that there are useful interpretations of the ratios of moments of probability density distributions, such as <x^4>/<x^2>. I only have un-normalised values of the second and higher moments of the distribution of interest. Is there any way of quantifying the spatial extent of the distribution?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have limited knowledge of this, but since no one else is answering, I will offer what I have. Incase you don't already know, the first moment is the expectation, which can be interpreted as a sort of center of mass. The second central (about the mean/expectation) moment is the variance, which is analogous to the moment of inertia in physics. The variance is the square of the standard deviation, and is a measure of how "spread out" the distribution is.
The only other one i know of is the skew factor, which is the third central moment, divided by the second central moment (the variance) to the power of 3/2. (here only the denominator is raised to the power, not the third central moment). This is a measure of how symmetrical the distribuition is. Sorry that I can't help more.

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I only know unnormalised second and fourth moments of the distributions (which is why I need to divide the two!).

I have two similar distributions which I would like to compare on the basis of the unnormalised second and fourth moments.

Well, one of the measures of kurtosis in that Mathworld link does use the unnormalized 4th and 2nd moments, so that should do the job.

anyone can explain to me what is functionally complete gates ?

1. What is the purpose of calculating ratios of moments?

Calculating ratios of moments helps to quantify and analyze the spatial extent of a distribution. It allows scientists to determine the proportion of a distribution that falls within a certain distance from a central point, and to compare this proportion between different distributions.

2. How are ratios of moments calculated?

Ratios of moments are calculated by dividing the moment of a distance distribution by the moment of the entire distribution. The moment is calculated by multiplying the distance from a central point by the proportion of the distribution at that distance, and then summing these values across all distances.

3. What types of distributions can ratios of moments be applied to?

Ratios of moments can be applied to any type of distribution, as long as there is a clearly defined central point and distances can be measured from that point. This includes spatial distributions of animals, plants, and other organisms, as well as non-biological distributions such as rainfall or pollutant concentrations.

4. How can ratios of moments be used in ecological research?

Ratios of moments can be used in ecological research to study patterns of spatial distribution and abundance of species. By comparing ratios of moments between different species or populations, scientists can gain insights into factors that may be influencing their distribution, such as interactions with other species or environmental conditions.

5. What are the limitations of using ratios of moments?

While ratios of moments can provide valuable information about the spatial extent of a distribution, they do not take into account the actual shape of the distribution. Therefore, they may not accurately reflect the true spatial pattern of a species or population. Additionally, they are sensitive to the choice of central point, so careful consideration must be given when selecting this point.