Compactification of M Theory on Smooth G2 Manifolds

In summary, the conversation discusses section 4 of a paper titled "M Theory and Singularities of Exceptional Holonomy Manifolds", specifically the derivation of the field content of the effective 4-dimensional theory by harmonic decomposition of 11D bosonic fields on a smooth G_2 manifold. The reasoning behind the derivation of scalar and gauge fields in terms of the manifold's Betti numbers is accepted, but there is no mention of a term for harmonic 0-forms which would lead to 3-form gauge fields in the 4D theory. After seeking clarification, it is determined that taking b_0=1 results in a single 3-form gauge field in the effective theory, with only a kinetic term contributing to the discussion
d.hatch75
I am currently reading the paper given here by Acharya+Gukov titled "M Theory and Singularities of Exceptional Holonomy Manifolds", and in particular right now am following section 4 where the field content of the effective 4-dimensional theory is derived by harmonic decomposition of the 11D bosonic fields compactified over a smooth [itex]G_2[/itex] manifold. I accept the reasoning behind the derivation of the scalar and gauge fields in terms of the Betti numbers for the manifold, and understand why [itex]b_1=0[/itex] (and so there's no need to take the ansatz of a term summing over harmonic 1-forms on the compact space). However, there is no mention of a possible term that sums over harmonic 0-forms on the compact space, which as I understand it would lead similarly to [itex]b_0[/itex] 3-form gauge fields in the N=1 theory in 4D, which to me doesn't sound like a trivial result that's not worth mentioning. Since in general we don't necessarily have [itex]b_0=0[/itex] for [itex]G_2[/itex] manifolds, is there a particular reason why one does not write this ansatz?

I am most likely missing something embarrassingly obvious, but try as I might, I cannot see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I've answered my own question with the help of my supervisor. It appears that taking [itex]b_0=1[/itex] (as is the case for the [itex]G_2[/itex] manifolds under consideration) indeed results in a single 3-form gauge field [itex]A_3[/itex] in the effective 4D theory via this particular KK ansatz, and the terms containing [itex]A_3[/itex] consist only of a kinetic term of the form [itex]F_4 \wedge *F_4[/itex] for [itex]F_4 = dA_3[/itex]. This is because any interaction terms containing [itex]A_3[/itex] resulting from compactification of the Chern-Simons term in 11D will necessarily be a [itex]p[/itex]-form with [itex]p>4[/itex], and so they will vanish when integrated over the 4D spacetime. The kinetic term after integration contributes a cosmological constant, which is interesting in itself but not all that relevant to a field theory discussion, so I am satisfied that my query has been resolved.

What is M Theory and how does it relate to G2 manifolds?

M Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify the five different superstring theories. It predicts that our universe has eleven dimensions - ten of space and one of time. G2 manifolds are seven-dimensional manifolds that play a crucial role in compactifying the extra dimensions of M Theory. This means that the extra dimensions are "rolled up" or hidden, leaving only the familiar four dimensions of our observable universe.

What is the significance of compactification in M Theory on G2 manifolds?

Compactification is essential in M Theory as it allows for the extra dimensions to be hidden and for the theory to be consistent with our observed universe. In particular, compactification on G2 manifolds has been of great interest as it leads to a supersymmetric theory in four dimensions, which is a desirable feature in many theoretical models.

How does compactification on G2 manifolds differ from other types of compactification in M Theory?

Compactification on G2 manifolds is unique because it preserves some of the symmetries of the original eleven-dimensional M Theory. This is known as "maximal" or "minimal" supersymmetry, which is a highly desirable feature in theoretical physics. In contrast, other types of compactification may break more symmetries, resulting in different physical properties and predictions.

What are some current research developments in the compactification of M Theory on G2 manifolds?

There is ongoing research in understanding the mathematical properties of G2 manifolds and their role in compactification. This includes studying the geometric structures and topological properties of G2 manifolds, as well as investigating their applications in areas such as string theory and cosmology. Additionally, there is interest in exploring the potential connections between G2 manifolds and other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and algebraic topology.

What are the implications of compactification of M Theory on G2 manifolds for our understanding of the universe?

The compactification of M Theory on G2 manifolds is a crucial step in developing a unified theory of physics that can explain the fundamental forces and particles in our universe. It also has implications for understanding the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as potential applications in technology such as quantum computing. Continued research in this area will help us deepen our understanding of the universe and uncover new insights into its workings.