What type of spectrum does a heated rock emit?

In summary, the conversation is about the spectrum of a heated rock and what physical mechanism causes absorption and emission "line" spectra. The options for the spectrum of a heated rock are a thermal radiation spectrum, an absorption line spectrum, or an emission line spectrum. The expert concludes that it is a thermal radiation spectrum because the rock is retaining heat and giving off broad spectrum "black body" thermal radiation. They also provide a resource for learning more about the physical mechanism of absorption and emission "line" spectra.
aerogurl2
hi guys, i am having trouble with a problem. it's as goes:
if you heat a rock until it glows, its spectrum will be:
(a) a thermal radiation spectrum
(b) an absoprtion line spectrum
(c) an emission line spectrum

I think it's thermal radiation spectrum because it seems like the rock is retaining heat thus making it glow. but I'm not sure. can someon please help me. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. It will be giving off broad spectrum "black body" thermal radiation.

Quiz Question -- what physical mechanism results in absorption and emission "line" spectra?

i don't really know. i just know thermal is heat and that's why the rock heats up.

1. What is an absorption line spectrum?

An absorption line spectrum is a type of electromagnetic spectrum that is produced when a light source passes through a cooler gas. The cooler gas absorbs specific wavelengths of light, resulting in dark lines in the spectrum. These lines correspond to the specific wavelengths of light that were absorbed by the gas.

2. How is an absorption line spectrum different from an emission line spectrum?

An emission line spectrum is produced when a gas is heated and emits light at specific wavelengths. In contrast, an absorption line spectrum is produced when a light source passes through a cooler gas and is absorbed at specific wavelengths.

3. What information can be obtained from an absorption line spectrum?

An absorption line spectrum can provide information about the composition and temperature of the gas through the identification of the specific elements and molecules present and the intensity of the absorption lines.

4. How is an absorption line spectrum used in astronomy?

Astronomers use absorption line spectra to study the composition and structure of objects in space. By analyzing the absorption lines, they can determine the chemical composition of stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects.

5. Can an absorption line spectrum be used to study objects other than stars?

Yes, absorption line spectra can also be used to study other objects such as planets, comets, and interstellar clouds. The absorption lines can provide information about the chemical makeup and physical conditions of these objects.