Math and physics textbooks/syllabus

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on which mathematics and physics courses to focus on for an upcoming test and course. They mention their country's different school system and their plans to take SAT subject tests in physics and mathematics. They also mention using past papers to prepare and seeking help for any difficult questions. They are also looking for faster or simpler solutions to problems and welcome input from others.
Maddie1609
Hi,

I'm from Europe and my country has a quite different school system than in the US, therefore I need some advice on which mathematics and physics textbooks to use for this test and hopefully course: https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study...ations/physics-aptitude-test-pat/pat-syllabus

It doesn't have to be specific textbooks, just which courses to learn and in what order (for example algebra I, geometry etc.). I already have some courses under my belt, but I want to make sure I have absolutely everything I need to do well, including the very basics.

I'm also taking SAT subject tests in physics, and mathematics level I and II, so if anyone has an idea what I should know to ace this, let me know.

Thanks a lot in advance, this forum is excellent!
Madeleine

Physics news on Phys.org
And then, after going through these papers, see if you can find faster or more simple solutions to all the problems. Either computationally simpler, or using rules of thumb, dimensional analysis and Fermi estimation.
Show these to the forum, and others may give their faster solutions if they are interested.

1. What are the essential topics covered in a math and physics textbook/syllabus?

The essential topics covered in a math and physics textbook/syllabus include algebra, geometry, calculus, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and modern physics.

2. What is the difference between a math textbook and a physics textbook?

A math textbook focuses on the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, while a physics textbook focuses on the study of matter, energy, and the relationship between them.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning math and physics?

There are many recommended textbooks for learning math and physics, including "Calculus" by James Stewart, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

4. How do I know which math and physics textbooks are suitable for my level of understanding?

You can determine which textbooks are suitable for your level of understanding by looking at the level of the textbook (introductory, intermediate, advanced) and reading reviews from other students or professors.

5. Can I use one textbook for both math and physics courses?

It is possible to use one textbook for both math and physics courses, but it may be more beneficial to use separate textbooks that are specifically tailored to each subject. This way, you can focus on the specific concepts and applications of each subject without confusion.