Differentiating Variables with Subscripts on the HP-50g

In summary, the poster is looking for a way to enter the Distance Formula into an HP-50g calculator using subscripts for variables. The solution is to use separate variables (x1, x2, x3, etc.) instead of subscripts.
Pianoman14
Hi,

First: Hello, Physics Forums (this is my first post)!

Now to business.

I am trying to enter the Distance Forumula:

m = sqrt([x2-x1] + [x2-x1])

into the Equation Solver on the HP-50g. However, I cannot find a way to subscript variables. Of course, I could just enter,

m= sqrt ([A2-B1] + [C2-D1])

but that makes things a little confusing. Is there a way to subscript variables, and have them act independently?

Thanks,
Pianoman

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Pianoman14 said:
Hi,

First: Hello, Physics Forums (this is my first post)!

Now to business.

I am trying to enter the Distance Forumula:

m = sqrt([x2-x1] + [x2-x1])

into the Equation Solver on the HP-50g. However, I cannot find a way to subscript variables. Of course, I could just enter,

m= sqrt ([A2-B1] + [C2-D1])

but that makes things a little confusing. Is there a way to subscript variables, and have them act independently?

Thanks,
Pianoman

You can simply use x1, x2, x3, and x4 -- the calculator will treat them as separate variables.

Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of using subscripts in differentiating variables on the HP-50g?

Subscripts in differentiating variables on the HP-50g are used to indicate the specific variable or function that is being differentiated. This is especially useful when dealing with multi-variable equations or functions, as it helps to keep track of which variable is being differentiated with respect to.

2. How do I enter subscripts on the HP-50g calculator?

To enter subscripts on the HP-50g calculator, press the "ALPHA" key followed by the "2" key. This will allow you to enter the desired subscript before continuing with the rest of the equation or function.

3. Can I use subscripts in both the numerator and denominator of a fraction on the HP-50g?

Yes, you can use subscripts in both the numerator and denominator of a fraction on the HP-50g calculator. Simply enter the desired subscripts before and after the fraction symbol ("/") to indicate the variables being differentiated in the numerator and denominator.

4. Are there any limitations to using subscripts in differentiating variables on the HP-50g?

There are no specific limitations to using subscripts in differentiating variables on the HP-50g calculator. However, it is important to keep in mind that too many subscripts may make the equation or function difficult to read and understand, so it is best to use them sparingly.

5. Can I use subscripts in conjunction with other mathematical operations on the HP-50g?

Yes, subscripts can be used in conjunction with other mathematical operations on the HP-50g calculator. Simply enter the desired subscripts before or after the operation symbol to indicate the variables being differentiated in that particular operation.