Is my instructor covering enough of c++?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter proton
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, you need to be comfortable with the syntax of the language in order to be able to write code fluently in other languages.
proton
The textbook used in my C++ community college class is "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days", and my instructor doesn't really follow the book. Like when we're supposed to cover a certain chapter, he will often omit a lot of the material in that chapter but include material from a chapter way ahead. This is my first programming course so I spend about 6 hours/wk doing homework and studying. Am I getting enough out of this course that I need for my upper-div physics and math courses? The topics covered are:
variables and constants
expressions and statements
functions and basic classes
more program flow
pointers
data pointers and function pointers
references
advanced functions and overloading
inheritance
arrays and strings
polymorphism

Technology news on Phys.org
I was required to take a programming class at Community college and ransferred to a double physics/math bachelors. In the three years, I never once had to use that programming. So I guess it depends where you plan to transfer and what classes you plan to take later.

The traditional view is that you teach yourself the syntax outside of class, and the instructor spends time discussing concepts and semantics. It's typical.

daveb said:
I was required to take a programming class at Community college and ransferred to a double physics/math bachelors. In the three years, I never once had to use that programming. So I guess it depends where you plan to transfer and what classes you plan to take later.

I'm transferring to UCLA like you. Really, you never once used C++?

Nope. Whenever some class wanted something computational ( I took Math 151 which was numerical analysis), they usually had a specific software package in mind like mathematica.

so software package like mathematica don't require any computer programming experience?

so software package like mathematica don't require any computer programming experience?

Mathematica is a computer programming language!

There are two ways to learn computer programming:

1) Study a language like C++ in depth. This means that you memorize all the syntax of the language. In C++ you think of a for loop as:

for ( start ; test; increment) {body}

2) Another way to learn programming is to concentrate on semantics. In this case you learn what a loop is, and you learn the design issues of loops: what type can the loop counter be, what is the scope of the loop variable, is the test executed once or each time, etc. Every language handles these design issues differently, that's why there are so many languages. The design issues are language dependent, while the loop construct is language independent. Here is some code to do the same thing in three languages:

C++

Code:
for( i = 0; i < 10, i++)

{

printf(i);

}
Mathematica

Code:
For[ i = 0, i < 10, i++,

Print[i];
     ]

Ada
Code:
FOR i IN 0..9 LOOP

PUT(i);

END LOOP;

All these example have different syntax for the same semantics. I strongly suggest having programming experience, but don't worry about learning the syntax of a particular language in depth until you are further on.

so I guess I have to learn C++ to learn mathematica and other languages well?

Related to Is my instructor covering enough of c++?

1. Is my instructor covering all the necessary topics in c++?

It depends on the course or curriculum that your instructor is following. It is important to have a basic understanding of the fundamentals of c++ before moving on to more advanced topics. If you feel like your instructor is not covering enough, you can always supplement your learning by doing additional research or reaching out to them for clarification.

2. How can I tell if my instructor is covering enough of c++?

One way to gauge if your instructor is covering enough of c++ is by comparing the course outline or syllabus to industry standards or other reputable resources. You can also ask your peers who have taken similar courses if they feel like they have learned enough about c++. Ultimately, it is up to you to actively engage in the learning process and seek out additional resources if needed.

3. What should I do if I feel like my instructor is not covering enough of c++?

If you feel like your instructor is not covering enough of c++, it is important to communicate your concerns with them. Let them know which topics you feel are not being adequately covered and ask for additional resources or clarification. It is also a good idea to do your own research and practice outside of class to supplement your learning.

4. How can I make the most out of my instructor's lessons on c++?

To make the most out of your instructor's lessons on c++, it is important to actively participate in class, ask questions, and take thorough notes. It is also helpful to practice coding on your own and apply the concepts taught in class to real-world problems. Don't be afraid to seek out additional resources if you need further clarification on a topic.

5. What resources can I use to supplement my learning if my instructor is not covering enough of c++?

There are many resources available to supplement your learning of c++ if you feel like your instructor is not covering enough. Online tutorials, textbooks, and coding challenges can provide additional practice and help you gain a deeper understanding of the language. You can also join online communities or coding forums to connect with other learners and ask for help when needed.