More experimental modal analysis

In summary, experimental modal analysis is a technique used to identify the dynamic characteristics of a physical structure or system by measuring its response to an external excitation and analyzing the data. It differs from analytical modal analysis in that it uses physical measurements instead of mathematical models. These measurements can include accelerations, velocities, displacements, and strain gauges. Experimental modal analysis has various applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering, but it also has limitations, such as being dependent on measurement accuracy and being time-consuming and expensive. It may also not be suitable for highly non-linear or time-varying systems.
e04bf0c3
Hi,
I'm trying to use experimental modal analysis to determine the modal parameters of a beaker. I'm using a shaker and have successfully obtained FRF's (I think!) Has anybody got any idea what I've to do from here? I've read what feels like a million articles but can't figure out how to actually extract the modal parameters! I'm supposed to be using the circle fit method if possible but I'm so so confused. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you trying to determine the modes of the beaker itself, or a liquid inside of it?

1. What is experimental modal analysis?

Experimental modal analysis is a technique used to identify the dynamic characteristics, such as natural frequencies, mode shapes, and damping ratios, of a physical structure or system. It involves measuring the response of the structure to an external excitation and analyzing the data to extract the modal parameters.

2. How is experimental modal analysis different from analytical modal analysis?

Analytical modal analysis uses mathematical models to predict the modal parameters of a structure, while experimental modal analysis uses physical measurements to determine the actual modal parameters. Experimental modal analysis is often preferred for complex or non-linear systems, while analytical modal analysis is better suited for simpler systems.

3. What types of measurements are involved in experimental modal analysis?

Experimental modal analysis typically involves measuring the response of a structure to a dynamic excitation, such as an impact hammer or shaker. These measurements can include accelerations, velocities, or displacements at various points on the structure. Strain gauges and other sensors may also be used to measure the structural response.

4. What are the applications of experimental modal analysis?

Experimental modal analysis is used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering. It can be used for structural health monitoring, modal parameter identification, and structural design optimization.

5. What are the limitations of experimental modal analysis?

Experimental modal analysis is dependent on the quality and accuracy of the measurements taken and the assumptions made during the analysis. It can also be time-consuming and expensive to perform. Additionally, experimental modal analysis may not be suitable for highly non-linear or time-varying systems.