Continuum Mechanics: Finding a Discussion Group

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of continuum mechanics and the search for a place where students can discuss and learn more about it. The only suggestion given is a website called imechanica.org which may be helpful for discussions and research related to continuum mechanics.
Dafe
Hey,
I've picked up a book on continuum mechanics to do a bit of studying by my self.
As this topic is somewhat odd (difficult) I wonder if anyone knows of a place where students of continuum mechanics meet for discussion?
I'm not sure if there is a subforum here at physicsforums which deals with this subject..

I'm apologize if I'm posting at the wrong place, it's just that I'm used to the mechanical engineering subforum :)

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only place know of is :

http://www.imechanica.org/

although it has a research emphasis, at least it's a place where continuum mechanics is discussed and dissected.

1. What is Continuum Mechanics?

Continuum Mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of materials and substances that are continuously distributed, such as fluids and solids. It involves the study of how these materials respond to external forces and how they deform and move under stress.

2. Why is it important to study Continuum Mechanics?

Continuum Mechanics is important because it helps us understand the physical behavior of materials and substances in engineering and scientific applications. It also provides the foundation for many other fields, such as fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, and materials science.

3. How can I find a discussion group for Continuum Mechanics?

There are several ways to find a discussion group for Continuum Mechanics. You can search online for groups or forums that focus on this topic, reach out to your university or local engineering/science community, or ask your professors or colleagues for recommendations.

4. What topics are typically covered in a Continuum Mechanics discussion group?

Topics covered in a Continuum Mechanics discussion group can vary, but they often include discussions on basic principles and theories, applications in different fields, and current research and developments. Some groups may also focus on specific subfields, such as fluid mechanics or elasticity.

5. Can I join a Continuum Mechanics discussion group even if I am not an expert in the field?

Yes, most Continuum Mechanics discussion groups welcome individuals of all levels of expertise. These groups are a great opportunity to learn from others and exchange ideas and knowledge. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of mechanics and mathematics before joining a discussion group on this topic.